entiendo

Please take pity on me and HELP....

This one is the starting end and where I stopped.

endsfirstpass3.jpg

And here are 2 pictures of the turn on the other end.

endfirstpass2.jpg

endsfirstpass1.jpg

entiendo

Thanks for posting the pics. I'm on duty right now and the computers aint the best here(they suck)so it will be in the morning before I can get a good look. Sorry for the delay

Mike

entiendo

It looks like when you made tour turn with the blue thong you went over two. I think when you make your turn you need to go over one. And then when you make your next turn you'll go over two splitting parallels. I have found that when I split parallels I always go over two then under two. In the other pictures it looks like you went under two first. Hope this helps

Mike

Yes, I did go over 2, I was under the impression that you do go over 2 on a gaucho. If I didn't go over 2, I would no longer be following the standing string.

With a herringbone I'm always splitting parallels on the turns, with the exception of the first 2, but on the gaucho the only parallel to split on a turn is the last turn.

Do these rules change on a larger button with more turns?

There are 2 possiby 3 ways to fix what you have shown in your pictures. When you turn it back at the top as you have, you need to be on the other side of your standing end when coming up when working a guacho interweave on a foundation as you have there. or you need to turn it back at the top differently by coming out at the top under 1, if you do it following the standing end as you have shown in your pics, if you have a Bruce Grant Encyclopedia of braiding look on page 403, fig 1 and you will see what I'm talking about in th first option, if you look on page 437 in just fig 1 and 2 you will see what I'm talking about in the 2nd option. As long as you make and split parallels correctly the knot will come out correct. The parallels in a long guacho interweave are the same as a herringbone, because you are making and splitting parallels with each pass if you see what I'm saying, there are always new parallels with each pass to split until the knot is complete. Hopefully this will help you.

KAW

If that does'nt work for you there is another opition,

let me know if it doesn't work and I with try to explain it

Edited by KAW

OK, I have to read what you posted several times, but I only have Grants, "How to Make Cowboy Gear".

Thanks KAW

So can I follow the standing standing string on the other side. I read in Gail's book that you need to cross over the standing end at each pass and keep it to the right or below the working end, when going right and keep it to the left, or below the working end, when going left. Course this all depends how my own brain sees the button. The gal that taught me to braid looked at the button completely different than I did and it took us a while to communicate.

Edited by entiendo

You can make the knot following the standing end on either side, just one turns back differently, it can be difficult to expain or comprehend on the computer or phone some times when people see things differently, its a hell of alot easier to learn or explain some thing face to face, the main thing with making most knots is to create the doubles and then split them, as long as you do that the knots will turn out, the more of them you do the easier they will get. I used to have that book but it fell apart so I don't know if the diagrams are in that book and I dont have Gail Houghts books so I can't help you there.

Hope you get it figured out,

KAW

Thanks. Someone sent me a grid. I don't know how to use it yet but I have a fealing once I figure it out I'm on my way.

Edited by entiendo

I know that this is probably a little late on this subject. I hope that you can bare with me on this also.

When I make these types of knots especially this one being a very wide knot, I will usually do the interweave in sections using three different thongs. This kind of helps keep it all in order for me anyway.

Are thongs strings?

And I recently found out that the gaucho interweave has a sort of "glitch" in it when interweaving a Turks head with full turns. So I wasn't doing it wrong after all. I was just unaware that my way of doing a gaucho leaves parallels where it crosses. Go figure.