Chief31794

Guitar Straps

They start at $79.95 and go up depending on whether they're hand carved or just tooled. Hand carving takes them to $99.95, double layered start at 159.95, that includes stitching if they want them laced then that adds $50.00.  Lacing is time consuming, sewing is done on a sewing machine, doesn't take nearly as long.

Aweb_8769.jpg

Aweb_0332.jpg

Web_7702.jpg

Edited by Chief31794

So what is the real difference between a guitar strap, a banjo strap, a dobro strap, etc?

Nice looking work Chief.  Its inspirational.  I make mostly knife sheaths because I got into knife making a while back, but have been giving serious consideration into going into instrument straps as well.  Timing is not too bad for me right now since I'm personally in need of a few straps at the moment.

16 hours ago, cowboycolonel said:

So what is the real difference between a guitar strap, a banjo strap, a dobro strap, etc?

The main difference is length and attachment method. Dobro Straps are attached to the headstock and must support the instrument while it is lying flat and banjo straps are attached either with hooks or directly to the J-Hooks or cradled all the way around the drum to support the weight (13 - 15 lbs for a banjo with a tone ring). Some banjos cannot mount a cradle strap due to the way they support the J-Hooks (normally less expensive banjos have supports in the middle of the J-Hooks).  Guitar straps are normally 48-60" long, Dobro Straps 60-72" long and banjo straps depend on whether they are attachment type or cradle type.  Hope that helps, here's a couple of pictures to help (maybe).  The guy playing the dobro below is Frank Poindexter, he's been a professional recording artist for many years, worked with Tony Rice (he's actually Tony's Uncle), Frank plays regularly with the band, "Deeper Shades of Blue". The Banjo Player is Jamie Sparks another professional recording artist, Jamie currently plays and records with "The Bluegrass Brothers".  The strap is an attachment type banjo strap and the two pictures show how to mount the two different types of banjo straps

Chief

Aweb_0020.jpg

Frank7.jpg

BanjoStrapMountingAttachment.gif

BanjoStrapMountingCradle.gif

JamieSparks2.jpg

Edited by Chief31794

14 hours ago, TonyRV2 said:

Nice looking work Chief.  Its inspirational.  I make mostly knife sheaths because I got into knife making a while back, but have been giving serious consideration into going into instrument straps as well.  Timing is not too bad for me right now since I'm personally in need of a few straps at the moment.

Thanks, straps aren't terribly difficult to make.  Market isn't huge on Dobro Straps, Banjo and Mandolin straps are a medium volume market, guitar straps are a large volume market however, it's flooded with people and companies that make guitar straps.

Chief

3 hours ago, Chief31794 said:

Thanks, straps aren't terribly difficult to make.  Market isn't huge on Dobro Straps, Banjo and Mandolin straps are a medium volume market, guitar straps are a large volume market however, it's flooded with people and companies that make guitar straps.

Chief

I'm not looking to make any money at this, its more of a hobby than anything else for me.  I make knives and sheaths for folks I know and once and a while I do a custom order for someone through word of mouth.  Guitar straps would be the same way.  I know a lot of musicians having played keyboards in bands for much of the last 40 or so years and making guitar straps would be a natural fit for me just to give me another avenue to pursue the hobby.  Thanks for posting your pictures, perhaps someday in the distant future I will have acquired those kind of skills too.