JasonR

Leather gauntlets and rivets

So, I want to make some leather gauntlets with a scale look.  The problem I'm having is what to use to secure the finger joints that would allow the leather to move.  A rivet will bind it in place but, a chicago screw seems to large.  I don't want to use string as these will be for LARP.  I attached an image that is similar to what I'm attempting to create.  Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

dragoness_gauntlet_comparison_by_maddogmaxx-d3dbrr5.jpg

Rivet but don't set it as hard as you can?  Experiment a bit in how hard you strike it to find a balance of durability and freedom of movement.

So, i found some 1/8" open back screw post that will work.  A little wider than I would like but, it will get the job done.

Take a piece of heavy paper or a chunk of manila folder and use it like a washer around the rivet when you're setting it. Pull it out when you're done, and the rivet won't be so tight on the leather and will allow for movement.

4 hours ago, TheCyberwolfe said:

Take a piece of heavy paper or a chunk of manila folder and use it like a washer around the rivet when you're setting it. Pull it out when you're done, and the rivet won't be so tight on the leather and will allow for movement.

Beat me to it....I did that trick for a while, now I have a piece of plastic i cut from from some packaging that has a small slit in it, i slip it between the layers of leather with the rivet in the slit, pound the rivet like normal and then slip it out. It is from those packages that you can never open without blood, the ones everything seems to come in now....