EfrainBG

Strap Anchors.

Hi, everyone!

I don't even know whether the title is right, but I'm struggling at making some decisions while at the design stage for a laptop briefcase.

I've seen several things here and there as to how I want it to look (or how the Mrs. wants it to look, to be more accurate). We reached a veredict and I'm ok and able to do everything she wants in the bag... or at least I have a very good idea on how to approach almost every step of the assembly.

The only doubts I have have to do with the anchor points for the strap. For starters, It's going to look like the first image attached. I love that look, and I have no problem with buying the tools required for any kind of rivet necessary.

The first trouble I have is decidiing what kind of rivet to use. I only have used copper rivet and burr style until now, but my wife wants all the hardware in the bag to be silver colored (i.e. nickel plated or stainless steel).

I have only used copper rivets because I believe those to be the strongest ones (I have absolutely no argument to support that claim other than what I've read around). My main concern is that it seems to me that this is a part of the bag that deals with a lot of stress and I dont know whether any other kind of rivet is going to hold over time. I get it, the stress on the joint is going to be vertical and not along the axis of the rivet, but still...

I've looked at two different types of rivets: double cap and tubular rivets. I don't know whether these two are exactly the same thing, but at least they appear listed as separate items within the same seller. About the double cap style, it seems to me that if I screw up with the size of the rivet I'd be stuck waiting for the right size. As for the tubular ones (I couldn't attach an image, but they're listed as Items 00104-NP-10/16  and  00104-NB-CAPS at Weaver Leather). It looks as if I can go with one large sized rivet and trim down as required. (The downside with these last ones is that they only sell a minimum of 1000 units).

For these two, the question is: are they tough enough for the job I want them to do? I plan on using 2 mm leather, so we're talking a rivet post about 15 mm

Thanks for your time!!

Strap Anchor.png

rivet double cap.jpg

Strap Anchor Diagram.jpg

Tubular rivets are ugly on one side. Double caps are the nicest and the same on both sides and will work in this application. If I was making it, however I would use chigago screws for the strap attachment. They are available longer and with a wider shank than tubular/doublecap rivets. Thread locker will keep them from unscrewing. Getting long double cap rivets tight without the shaft bendind and offsetting the head can be difficult and would be visible on this project. Double cap rivets don't play nice when trimmed and the additional labor to do so is worth buying an assortment of sizes.

thanks a lot, ThinkerTailor!

If make the hole exactly the size of the shaft for the double caps (or even a bit tight), is the shaft bending still an issue?

I hear you about the Chicago screws, but I've had several items (not made by me) in the past where those have come apart. I'd still need to try the thread locker. 

Again, thanks for your help!

I like to have the fit be just snug before setting - you should feel the cap snap into place and have it snug against the leather. On those longer rivets, as long as the hole isn't too big and you keep things lined up, you'll be OK.

OOoohh!! Thanks Tinker! I didn't know anyone made blind-head Chicago Screws. <Insert gleefully maniacal laughter here>

12 minutes ago, Red Bear Haraldsson said:

OOoohh!! Thanks Tinker! I didn't know anyone made blind-head Chicago Screws. <Insert gleefully maniacal laughter here>

No Prob.

They are made(machined not stamped) in the USA and I believe someone from usbind is a member here.

Btw, I have hot glued a dowel to each side of a blind-head to spin them in nice and tight. Hot glue breaks right off.

Edited by TinkerTailor