Sign in to follow this  
ClayB

Bear Picture

Just playing around in here and seeing if I can figure things out. Thought I would try and post a picture of a project that I have been working on. It is from a Robb Barr video. I thought I did something wrong on the carving of it because the bear has a crooked nose, but Jan Schoonover said that is just the way Robb drew the pattern. If I ever do another one, I think I will try and do the nose differntly. When I get some time, I will give the coloring a try and hope I dont ruin it.

Clay

leather_pictures_007__Small_.jpg

post-12-1150433105_thumb.jpg

Hi, Clay,

Once again a very nice piece of work you have on the ole bear. I think the crook nose actually adds to the picture. You know how animals are-- they very seldom are caught in a position of being absolutely in line as they have so many different expressions. For me the crokk nose makes the picture even more life-like.

Not only are you a very talented leather artist but I now must add you to my list of computer experts. I'm still in the "figuring out "stage as to this forum type of operation. LOL

Take care,

Jim

I'm with Jim- the nose makes the bear look real. Clay, you have a marvelous talent. Will you please post some of your saddle pics in the saddle section to kick things off? I'm trying to get Verlane in here, but AOL and her Mac are not cooperating, yet. Cowcutter is helping her.

Johanna

Just playing around in here and seeing if I can figure things out. Thought I would try and post a picture of a project that I have been working on. It is from a Robb Barr video. I thought I did something wrong on the carving of it because the bear has a crooked nose, but Jan Schoonover said that is just the way Robb drew the pattern. If I ever do another one, I think I will try and do the nose differntly. When I get some time, I will give the coloring a try and hope I dont ruin it.

Clay

Two tries and got it rite wow. Very nice bear Clay ! The nose looks fine to me but then again we are all our own worse critic which just makes us better . I am going to have to try an embossed animal since figure carving is my favorite.

Thanks to all of you for the nice comments on the bear. I think maybe you have to see the real thing and study it to see what is wrong with the nose. The nose is pointing towards the right, while the mouth is still facing forward. It just doesn't quite look right. I do know that we are are own worst critics. The more work I see by the real masters of this craft, the more I want mine to be that good too. I will probably never be completly satisfied, but that's ok. I enjoy practicing at it.

If you are wanting to give embossed animals a try, the Robb Barr videos are a good way to learn. I have also been taking lessons from Jan Schoonover. Jan takes it a step or two farther than Robb did. Jan also goes about it differently, and I think some of his ways are easier. Several of us have been trying to encourage Jan to record his techniques in a book or videos. He mentioned in Sheridan that he may be making his first video in the near future. I hope he does.

Clay

Figured I would add the picture of the bear after I colored him. I was really happy with how he turned out, and that doesn't happen very often!

I sent the bear to Butler Pennsylvania where he was part of the IILG display table. He somehow got lost over there and missed his trip home on the UPS truck. So now he is residing in Mississippi with a good friend of mine. Last bear that got lost up here in ND got run over by a semi on the interstate :bike:

leather_pictures_011__Small_.jpg

leather_pictures_028__Medium_.jpg

post-12-1161441236_thumb.jpg

post-12-1161441269_thumb.jpg

Great job Clay! Crooked nose and all. You did a wonderful job, coloring looks great. I tried to do a cougar once. I still have it somewhere. (Why don't leather people throw anything out?) Not my thing, all that leather dust. I love to see other peoples though. It makes me want to dig out that cougar, well almost.

Shirley

Thanks Shirley,

One of the nice things about leather is that there are so many different things that you can do with it. If you don't like one style, there are so many others to try. My problem is that I feel like I have to try them ALL!! At least I never get bored that way.

Edited by ClayB

Figured I would add the picture of the bear after I colored him. I was really happy with how he turned out, and that doesn't happen very often!

I sent the bear to Butler Pennsylvania where he was part of the IILG display table. He somehow got lost over there and missed his trip home on the UPS truck. So now he is residing in Mississippi with a good friend of mine. Last bear that got lost up here in ND got run over by a semi on the interstate :bike:

Clay, I saw this before and I still think that you did a h--- of a job. WRT the crooked nose, I would like to give my thought which probably doesn't amount to a hill of beans, Plus I am not an artist, so I can't talk from real knowledge.

After looking real close at both pictures, one thing appears to stand out to me is that the left nostril (Right side) to the viewer, seems to be highlighted while the other side appears to be shaded. My thinking is that this causes this apparent crookiness to be more apparent. At least to me. However, as I said before, it does not detract from the picture. Great work. Carl

Clay, I saw this before and I still think that you did a h--- of a job. WRT the crooked nose, I would like to give my thought which probably doesn't amount to a hill of beans, Plus I am not an artist, so I can't talk from real knowledge.

After looking real close at both pictures, one thing appears to stand out to me is that the left nostril (Right side) to the viewer, seems to be highlighted while the other side appears to be shaded. My thinking is that this causes this apparent crookiness to be more apparent. At least to me. However, as I said before, it does not detract from the picture. Great work. Carl

Carl, did you know some bears have crooked smiles just like we humans do. I think that is the way Robb Barr drew the pattern.

Tom Katzke

Hi Carl,

Thanks for your comments on "ol growley". Maybe it takes a "technical" eye to catch some mistakes. It sure does look like you are right in your comments. The highlights are suppposed to be on HIS right side, like on the ears, and neck. Not sure why I put them on the wrong side of his nose. I did think that the overall paint job made the crooked nose less noticeable. Tom and several other people pointed out that the crooked nose CAN occur in nature, either because all bears will have different facial features, or maybe just the face he was making at the time. I hope to do another one of these in the near future, and I will have to decide it I want to alter the pattern before I start. If I get to Bismarck before I do another one, I will have to study the ones Robb did to see what he did.

I appreciate the comments from everyone. I still have lots to learn and it helps to have other points of view.

Clay