Sign in to follow this  
Kayak15

Holsters for comment

I am reposting the two holsters that I have made because I don't think anyone saw them when I tried before. I was finally able to get them where they can be seen if you click on the links.

These are my first attempts at holster making and first leather working since I made a few trinkets 30 years ago. I made them about a week apart. They are hand stitched or perhaps I should say they were sewn. Not sure what the difference is. Anyway, I would be interested in your comments. Thanks!

First holster is:

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj266/k...rk/IMG_1013.jpg

Second holster is:

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj266/k...rk/IMG_1014.jpg

Kayak15

Kayak

Your holsters look pretty good to me. You may want to leave the holster bottoms as least parcially unstitched and open so that water and assorted crud doesn't build up on the bottom of your holster.

Randy

Not sure if the finish is still wet but the blotchy look is a problem that I am working on too. there are a few threads here that have alot of good info on dyes and finishes that have helped me. I found that experimenting with alot of scrap is the way to go LOL.. jordan

They both look good to me. Nice stamping and stitching.

Thank you Randy, Jordan, and Warren. Good advice. Since I am new to this, your comments are greatly appreciated. You might be interested to know Randy, that I used your "gun in the middle of a file folder drawing method" to do the second holster. Worked very well. As to the dye Jordam, it was not wet, I still haven't figured it out and will look for some of the threads, then practice. I really don't want all my work to wind up black by default!

Thanks again-

Kayak15

I think they look good, I really like the stamping. As far as the dyeing goes I finally gave up, I ordered some drum dyed leather and it will be here next week. Everytime I tried to dye one ended up having to put a few coats on which pretty much turned it black.

Thank you Randy, Jordan, and Warren. Good advice. Since I am new to this, your comments are greatly appreciated. You might be interested to know Randy, that I used your "gun in the middle of a file folder drawing method" to do the second holster. Worked very well. As to the dye Jordam, it was not wet, I still haven't figured it out and will look for some of the threads, then practice. I really don't want all my work to wind up black by default!

Thanks again-

Kayak15

I got a tip from someone on the board (cannot recall who, but thanks again)! who dampens the leather slightly prior to dying. It seems to open the pores a bit and allows the dye to absorb more readily (it has been working well for me, YMMV). Try it on a scrap piece. I used a dampened/slightly wet sponge. Let it sit for a minute, then apply the dye (I go one coat vertical, one horizontal, one diagonal) and see what you get. You will no doubt get other options with regards to dying, no one does it exactly the same. The great thing is the wealth of knowledge at your fingertips here in the forums. I've learned quite a bit already, and continue to learn every day. Sorry to ramble, first post! :blahblahblah: Good luck!

Mike

I got a tip from someone on the board (cannot recall who, but thanks again)! who dampens the leather slightly prior to dying. It seems to open the pores a bit and allows the dye to absorb more readily (it has been working well for me, YMMV). Try it on a scrap piece. I used a dampened/slightly wet sponge. Let it sit for a minute, then apply the dye (I go one coat vertical, one horizontal, one diagonal) and see what you get. You will no doubt get other options with regards to dying, no one does it exactly the same. The great thing is the wealth of knowledge at your fingertips here in the forums. I've learned quite a bit already, and continue to learn every day. Sorry to ramble, first post! :blahblahblah: Good luck!

Mike

I do the same for the most part... I will do my best to dye while the leather is still slightly cased. I get a most even color, and have not had problems with the colors lightening or anything.

Good tips. Think I'll try damping on some scrap as suggested. I'll even try the up and down side to side, but I don't want the dye to get too dark. Unfortunately I only have one bottle of dye (dark mahogany) and Tandy Leather is a 60 mile drive one way. Next time I'm up in Spokane I'll get some other dyes. By the way, the photos of the holsters as they look on the computer come out sort of red, I think due to the flash. When I look at them in regular lighting, they look dark brown.

Kayak15

Use an edger and or sand the edges and burnish. I like to dye the edges a slightly darker color makes it stand out. Keep up the good work.

Randy

Use an edger and or sand the edges and burnish.

Ah, just what I was going to comment. The basketweave on your second sheath, in particular, is excellent -- quite straight and good impressions. The edge and around the belt loops on the first sheath do look rough with their squared edges, and I think it would look a lot better if you bevelled that.

Thanks for all the comments. This is exactly what I was hoping for since I don't know anyone around here that is doing leather work and like I said before, Tandy is 60 miles away - long way to go to get advice! Thanks again.

kayak15

HAh! Tandy Was 1,000 miles away until last October.

You learn to make do bone smoth wood carpentry tools etc.

Get a slicker (a smooth hammer handle or even the barrel of a pen will work. slick those edges after you get them damp. by allmeans dye that leather when it is damp and use a wool patch about 3x3" cover the leather in just a few smooth motions, let it dry. add Tan Coat when your done.