Newtoleather1

The order of things

Hello everyone. Just a quick question as to the best order of doing everything. A little background here I am just getting back in to making belts and wanted to see opinions on the best order of tooling this stuff out. I like the creased edge look as well so here is what I am doing. Any help with the order is of course appreciated.

1. Case the leather
2. Use a Tandy border tool and swivel knife blade to cut a small border around my belt
3. Use a Barry King Edge creaser to round over the edge
4. Perform some stamping around my piece
5. Bevel the border with a stamp
6. Push bevel the border to smooth it out
7. Cut the edge off with an edge beveler
8. Dye and finish the piece

Let me know if there are better or more efficient approaches I could take. Again thank you all. Take care.

There is a very comprehensive list of step somewhere in the beginning section. I know it is there, because I read it last week. However, it is a wiley thread, and very good at hiding. You'll have to sneak up on it quietly I think.

While I can certainly appreciate the non answer answer with the tone of sarcasm rudeness and all out unwillingness to help somebody new to the hobby, neither of the stickied tutorials clearly cover the edge work that I am most concerned with. If only the answer I was looking for was contained that might actually help me. But I'll keep hunting quietly. Thanks.

For any member who might actually help could somebody explain border creasing and proper steps. I've tried many different approaches and just can't seem to get a nice rounded edge. Thank you.

9 minutes ago, Newtoleather1 said:

While I can certainly appreciate the non answer answer with the tone of sarcasm rudeness and all out unwillingness to help somebody new to the hobby, neither of the stickied tutorials clearly cover the edge work that I am most concerned with. If only the answer I was looking for was contained that might actually help me. But I'll keep hunting quietly. Thanks.

For any member who might actually help could somebody explain border creasing and proper steps. I've tried many different approaches and just can't seem to get a nice rounded edge. Thank you.

I don't think he meant to come off as rude. He's pretty new here too. I'm no expert by any means but I think your order process is sound.

One of the experts will be along to help soon enough (I'll be watching this thread for pointers myself).

The size of the edger makes a big difference to the roundover. I have a number 1,2 and 3. The number one will only take off the sharp edge. The number 3 will do a 1/8"+ round over on heavy hides. (numbering systems vary greatly between manufacturers and models. Just know that the #1 is smaller than the #2 in a given maker and style. Same goes for creasers. Bruce Johnson has a write-up on sizing on his site.

I think you have your beveling and creasing backwards. The barry king creaser (beader?) is basically for putting a stripe along the edge of the leather, and smoothing the roundover of over the edge after bevelling. If you use the proper sized beveller, this tool will glide along the bevel putting a slight crease beside it to accentuate it.

Depending on the style of border crease, the tandy edge tool, swivel knife and creaser may be more steps than needed to get the effect. Do you have pics of the style you want?

Also, Are you asking this also as a list of tools to buy, or are you trying to work with what you have? If you have not bought them yet, May I suggest vintage tools? They are cheaper (sometimes 1/2 the price or less) and will work and last just as good. Check it out: http://brucejohnsonleather.com/leather-tools-sale/single-line-creasing-tools-sale/

/\ /\ /\ expert /\ /\ /\

@TinkerTailor Thank you for the perfect response. Appreciate the help. I have purchased some BK tools based on feedback from some other folks. I like them so far. I have also purchased several vintage tools. Vintage stuff really is so much nicer than todays items. Will take some of your advise and report back. Thank you again.

Play around, there is no perfect recipe for chocolate chip cookies.

Different tempers and different thicknesses of leather will require you to adjust your technique. For instance soft bellies can be creased quite easily, and sometimes the edge can be rounded over without beveling, whereas a stiff, hard piece of back leather would require a bevel to get started. It is more difficult to accurately follow the edge with any tool after beveling so I like to complete as many operations as possible before I get out the edger.  Most creasers like to follow a square edge, some won't follow a beveled edge. 

In most cases I have found that this method works for me:  First, crease once, guiding off the square edge of the leather to establish the line, then bevel the edge. Now go in again with the creaser, using the original crease as a guide, and more pressure, to define the roundover part. Doing it this way gives me the best definition, while keeping me from driving cooked.....

Every scrap is a test piece. Tonight, grab a handful of scraps and a few tools and do some creasing on a cutting board on your lap in front of the tv during commercials. Figure out what gives you the effect you want.  And keep your tools sharp and polished. A little light touch up with a felt buffer on a dremel will do wonders to even new tools. Unpolished tools glide crappy and make it really difficult to get consistent results.

@Newtoleather1- No sarcasm or rudeness meant. As mentioned, I am also fairly new to eatherworking. Like you, I have found myself wondering what the steps are, aside from what I was doing. I found a list that had been added to, with a lot of info on why you do many of the steps I didn't even know about. As a matter of fact, I have been looking for that thread again myself, and as mentioned, it is a very wiley and elusive thread.

There are many many hidden tips and techniques in random threads.

One of the more recent such threads is one for beeswax for sale.

There's about four posts about making a beeswax, neatsfoot, paraffin mix for edges and surfaces.

My advice, read everything here.

16 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

My advice, read everything here.

Sure... only a few thousand posts... I should be good to go in a couple years ;) Now THAT was good humored sarcasm! There are a lot of good posts, and lots more ideas than I could ever find on my own. Just takes time to sort through them.

I'm reading stuff everyday. The sewing machine jargon is totally lost on me though. But I keep reading on and on.

I read everyday I can as well, but only what applies to what I'm doing at the time. It helps keep me focused, and not so overwhelmed by the realization that I know very little

One thing I have found while searching is to look at threads with fewer posts. Quite often the thread is short because the answer has been given, and everyone moved on. Threads with multiple pages likely have devolved into a long winded, over focussed, borderline OCD discussion on the thread pitch angles of early singer machine screws.