Sign in to follow this  
Admin

IFoLG

The International Federation of Leather Guilds (IFoLG) is an organization of member leather guilds from around the world. This year the show is being co-hosted by the Pitt Pounders and the International Internet Leathercrafters' Guild (IILG) and you can find more information and download show packets on both websites.

If you have never been to an IFoLG show before, here's what to expect: Each guild sets up a display table of fabulous leatherwork, and there are tables and tables of work that has been entered in the competitions. There are leather & tool vendors with areas to demonstrate and sell. During the whole show workshops are scheduled, and there is usually a swap event after the awards Saturday night. There are a group who, ahem, always seem to stay up all night talking and carving and goofing off :whistle: not that I've ever been one of them! The show is about seeing new and old friends, the love of leathercraft and sparking your creativity back to life when you see all the things other people thought to do since last year. You will meet people in jeans and people in suits, but they all have common interests, and will talk and laugh with each other as soon as they read each other's nametags. It's an opportunity to put faces to the names we read about.

At my very first IFoLG show a man pulled in with a van full of stuff and said "Is this where the leather show is?" and we nodded, making introductions. He was Joe Barth, an upholsterer from New England. Once, at an award dinner, I sat next to Robb Barr, and I will always remember him as a charming gentleman. I met Billy 2 shews at the only show he ever went to. He got most of the awards, and on a side trip to Hobby Lobby, found the tshirt transfer medium that gave birth to his color transfer technique. I always look for The Dragon Lady's work (Roz Short Kaohn) because you have to see it to believe it. Those of you who have seen her creations know exactly what I mean. She is a real person, with an infectious laugh and an easy smile. At the IFoLG show you get to see awesome leatherwork, and meet the artists who create it, and set the bar for the rest of us.

Pittsburgh is within 600 miles of most of the population of the east coast, and if you get a chance to go to the show, don't miss it. See your friends and make new ones. That's what it's all about.

Johanna

I'd also like to encourage any of you that get the chance to attend this show. I got to attend my first IFoLG show last fall in Denver. You will get to see some great leather work from around the world, have a chance to attend classes, and buy things from suppliers. But, the best thing is getting a chance to meet other people that work with leather from around the country and the world, from beginners to experts. You will make some new friends. I was hoping I would get a chance to make this show too, and meet some of my friends from that side of the country, but I dont think it is going to happen.

Clay

I kept telling myself I wasn't going to go due to difficult relations with certain people; but I decided I have too many friends who need to meet Ethan, our long awaited son, for the first time! So I will go out and stay with my inlaws in OH, and visit the show on Saturday.

As others have mentioned, these shows are invaluable, and anyone involved in the field of leatherwork should go as often as they can.

Edited by wildrose

Going through my notes...these are from Ernie Wayman 2003 International Federation of Leather Guilds (the umbrella organization of worldwide guilds)

Leather Judging Suggestions

Swivel knife cuts should be smooth with no undercutting, unless a special effect was desired and a notation was attracted.

Pear shading and beveling should be smooth and not choppy.

Check all tool impressions; they should be distinct and not blurred.

Check for neatness of color.

Overall Appearance should be neat; also check the inside of the piece for glue smudges, pulled or wrinkled lining, colors smudges. No raw edges.

The backsides of belts, buckles, coasters, etc, should have a finished appearance. Belts should have the buckle end with snaps, or the buckle should be securely sewn on. The keeper should match the belt. There should be at least 3 holes in the billet end.

Pencil and pen marks should not show on cut lines.

Wallets should not be bulky, but easily fit in the pocket.

Utility items should function properly.

Pictures should have a proper frame and have a secure method to hang them. The frame however should not be judged with the picture unless it contains some type of leather.

Filigree; Make sure all cuts touch to prevent pull back of edges. There should be no fuzz showing, edges should be clean and even.

Lacing; Lacing should be smooth and even, in a straight line, holes should be evenly placed and straight. Lace should be hammered down so it lays flat with no gaps showing. Tag ends should be hidden and not seen. Corners should be multiple laced and an even number in every corner. The inside should not show draw marks.

Stitching; Check for neatness of stitching holes. They should be uniform and in a straight line. Stitches should be straight and recessed in a stitching groove. Ends should be hidden. Thread should be clean

Edges; All exposed edges should match the color of the item and be burnished smooth. Run your hand along the edges to check for smoothness.

No item should show signs of wear or use, all items should be new.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you plan to help with judging or scribing at the show:

Judging Guidelines for IFoLG Competition

Note: every judging team should have a copy of the competition class and a copy of this judging guideline to refer to while judging. This should be supplied by the host guild.

1. All items will be critiqued in writing. These critiques should be constructive, such as suggestions for improving specific techniques, or possibly why the item did not qualify to be judged.

2. You should judge the quality of work instead of the subject matter. The subject is strictly a matter of personal taste, and has no bearing on the ability of the competitor to do leather work.

3. Keep in mind that choice of color is a personal choice. However the method of application can be considered in judging.

4. If you feel you are not qualified to competently judge a specific category, please notify the head judge or the competition committee chairman of the host guild before judging starts. Likewise, the head judge should consider a category in which you feel more comfortable.

5. If you feel that you will be influenced in any way either for or against a piece you are judging, than the quality of the work. Please have the courtesy to excuse you from judging that class. Notify the head judge immediately so you can be replaced.

6. Under no circumstances will a judge, including the head judge, move an item into another class or category. If all the judges in your team agree the piece is entered in the wrong class or category. This piece will not be judged. You will however critique it, noting that the item was entered in the wrong class or category and was ineligible to be judged and why.

7. Any question you have about judging an item should be directed to the head judge. He then may approach the competition committee chairman. Should the occasion warrant, and no decision can be reached by the head judge and the committee chairman, the question will be brought to the attention of and discussed by all the judges.

8. When you have completed judging all the classes assigned to you, you may then proceed to deal with any other duties the head judge assigns you, such as best of class and best of category, as the host guild has directed. To award ribbons or trophies for best of class and best of category is a host guild decision, and not recognized by the IFoLG.

9. Judges are expected to act responsibly on the competition floor. We would request that you refrain from consuming any alcoholic beverage before or during the judging. If a judge is found to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and /or is acting in an irresponsible manner, he or she will be asked to leave the judging area, either by the head judge or the chairman of the competition committee. This person shall be barred from the competition area until the judging is completed.

10. At all times be aware of your respected status as a judge. Remember the IFoLG awards are the highest recognized awards in the field of leather art. These awards have been sanctioned by the largest worldwide grope of professional and non-professional leather craftsman, International Federation of Leather Guilds.

11. To ensure the integrity of the organization, we request of its members and its judges that they refrain from making derogatory remarks or comments on the results of the judged competition on the show floor. Judging is a grave responsibility and should be approached as such.

Remember, these guidelines are three years old and possibly some detail has changed- I don't know. But they are good common sense rules for any competition, and the judging rules are strictly enforced, so if you have any questions, make sure you ask!

Johanna

:book: Johanna

If you decide to visit the Pittsburgh Tandy Leather Store during the IFoLG show...

Picture the Pittsburgh area as a clock, with downtown Pgh. being where the hands meet in the middle (center). The airport is at nine, the show is at twelve and the Tandy is at three o'clock. The distance between the airport and the Tandy as the crow flies is maybe 80 or 100 miles. You can't go anywhere in southwestern Pa. "as the crow flies", thanks to bridges, mountains and PennDot. I would allow at least an hour to drive one way from the hotel, maybe more. The store is in Dormont, about 15 miles east of the Monroeville exit of the Pennsylvania Turnpike, and Rte 22 is, as we say in Pgh. is "tore up". That means PennDot is "making improvements", and usually we think they are just playing with where to put their orange barrels, but they have removed slabs of the road several feet thick on Rte. 22, and I don't think they are going to be finished any time soon.

I worked at the "old" Pittsburgh store when I was first hired by Tandy in 1994. The store was located closer to Monroeville then, and bigger. The whole time I was shopping last Friday, not a soul came in, but the phone rang constantly. One of the employees (I don't want to get anyone in trouble) said that business was still brisk, but it wasn't coming from walk-ins like before, primarily sales come from mail order, phone and the internet now. I guess I was surprised to see that store empty (even after navigating down Rte 22's nightmare of construction) because it was always busy with people when I worked there, before being transferred to Macon.

A word about the Pennsylvania Turnpike. The PA Turnpike (I76) is officially an "east-west" highway, (thus the even number designation) but it doesn't really do that. It runs more northwest-southeast after the I70 New Stanton interchange, becoming the Ohio Turnpike some 70 miles northwest of the city. Rte. 22 is technically the same road as the airport is on, but you can't drive from the airport to the Tandy on Rte. 22 directly because Rte. 22 becomes the famous Parkway going through Pittsburgh, and that road is not for nervous or distracted drivers. (Everyone from Pittsburgh is nodding their heads right now!) If I were going to the Tandy from the hotel, I would use the Turnpike, because the extra miles will at least be spent moving, instead of gingerly going through one neighborhood after another on the secondary roads. That being said, there isn't much to see at the "new" Tandy if you already have a catalog. There are more tools and hardware in the store than leather, but the people who work there are friendly and helpful. There is no longer a Tandy in the North Hills, for those of you with long memories.

If anyone has questions about getting around Pittsburgh, or wants info on other things to do during their visit, just ask. I lived in Washington County (south of the city) for 15 years and can provide directions to just about anywhere. If you have time to kill and want some additional activities, I'm making a list (my son wants to see the dinosaur collection at the Carnegie Museum) and if there is any interest, I'll post it.

Johanna

The final vendor layout has been announced for the 2006 IFoLG show in October, Butler, Pa.

Johanna

vendor_booth_layout_IFOLG_2006.jpg

post-5-1156890289_thumb.jpg