msdeluca

Stitch Groover Fix

I was having trouble with my groover guide riding up on the round beveled edge causing the groove line to be erratic.  This groover is made by GoodsJapan... not sure if this is a problem with other manufacturers or if this is just the way this manufacturer makes theirs.  

My fix was to take the groover bit out of the holder, invert and reinsert it, and belt sand it down about 3/32".  The result is that the guide now rides below the beveled edge and maintains a straight groove line.  The fix took about 10 minutes.

Some pics of the process.

Hope this helps.

Stitch_Groover_Fix_01.jpg

Stitch_Groover_Fix_02.jpg

Stitch_Groover_Fix_03.jpg

I had a different fix...I don't bevel until after I do the stitch groove.

I agree with Tony.  I also use a groover that is built like a set of diividers.  I find it's much more reliable than those light-weight groovers from Tandy.  The cutting side is adjustable so you can run the standing side outside of your work, whether beveled or not, and still get a good groove.

After sanding, the "skin" raises up and doesn't allow me to see the true edge of the item I'm beveling.  I prefer to groove after beveling.  

I've never seen the divider type.  I think I'd still prefer to be visually referencing the finished edge either way.

Looks like this.  ... and you can see everything you are doing..

Groover.jpg