Pigchaser

Protex ty253

Hi I've just purchased a Protex TY253. Can someone please tell me how to adjust the stitch length? Cheers

Never heard of that brand, but they look like just another player in the sea of clone brand-names. Is it a clone of a mitsubishi dy-253 by chance? If so, that manual should work. Or call Sewing Machines Austrailia, they sell Protex and mitsubishi.

Edited by TinkerTailor

Yes its a clone from a Mitsubishi DY253. I found a manual for the Mitsubishi but am unable to find how to adjust the stitch length

Edited by Pigchaser

http://www.meah.com.hk/Uploads/Product/201103/201103171505130468_DY-253-00.pdf

It says in here to remove a cover screw on the arm, loosen the locknut and then change the stitch length. Doesn't sound like something you want to do often...

Edited by TinkerTailor

Looks like an updated clone of the Singer 132K6 - somehow.

So the adjuster on the Singer 132K´s is where the red arrow points to but since the manual says "REMOVE COVER" I would guess it under the cover plate where where white arrow points to. Take some pictures of your machine and of what under the "covers".

A361_Z1.jpg

The Chinese 253 machines are usually a clone of the 132B6B so to adjust the stitch length you hold down the lever on the front - roughly where Constabulary is pointing to - and turn the hand wheel until the lever clicks into one of the slots on the internal wheel. Keep holding the lever down then turn the handwheel. Cannot remember which but turn the wheel one way and the stitch length increases, turn it the other and it decreases. Watch the feed dog to work out the direction

Hi I'm Steve of Cowboy Leather Machines in Australia, yes Protex is a Chinese branded copy of the Mitsubishi DY253.    The stitch length is set to maximum and can be access thru the little rubber plug or via the top plate.   You have to hold a screwdriver in the slot inside (firmly) and rotate the handwheel, this will then change the stitch length.   However..... I have found it easier to insert a small wooden peg in the front lever of the appropriate thickness and then machine will then run at the stitch length until you remove the peg.   In other words the lever is spring loaded and will revert to its top and longest stitch position, pushing it down shortens the stitch length until you finally have nothing and then reverse.  

No Darren, that's the B2B clone, the gentleman is enquiring about the Protex TY253, which is the Mitsubishi version

47 minutes ago, Singermania said:

Steve, I have never seen a Chinese version of the Mitsubishi.

The standard name for the 132b2b clone from China is a variation of 253. The version without reverse is called the 1100. I used to import a 132b2b clone called the MT253 but there are numerous variations of the name

http://cowboy did them, protex did them and trojan did them... not b2b but the  Mitsubishi clone

....JY-253 H/Duty Walking Foot....

Thanks for all the help will have a play !! If I get into trouble is it ok to ring you Steve ?

Cheers Rod 

Yes mate, I'm always about, if I can help then that's great.

Depending on where you are Rod I am in Goulburn and Steve is in Bundy so if the machine needs playing with.....