BrushyHillGuide

Adler sewing machines - any good?

I'm considering buying my first sewing machine and there are some Adler machines listed on Craigslist. Just wondering if they're good machines? Prices vary from $700-$1k with tables. 

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

When they are new, yes they are very well regarded machines, and very expensive. You would be paying 10 times those prices for a new one today.  Often people on here own clones of them and dream of the real thing. Of course, the machines near you, If they are worn out they may be much worse than a new clone. It really depends on how many metric miles of thread they have run and whether the guy running it oiled it right. Depending on model and wear, those prices could be high end or a screaming deal. A nice 205-370 can get double or triple that. For an old worn well used lighter duty flatbed, price is on the high side, and i'd want the table and motor setup to be nice and right.

Edited by TinkerTailor

The ones in his area are both flat beds, look pretty good and come with tables and motors and what not. Ofcourse seeing them in person and sewing off would be the next step. 

If they are as good as they look the price is probably about right. 

Thanks for the replies, guys! I'm price shopping right now because it's hunting season and I have tips coming in. I'm going to come back and get some more advice once I put a grand aside. 

I have an Adler -- my second one (story upon request) and am thoroughly thrilled with it.  Most of my work is on the heavy side, and I find it not only reliable, but a piece of cake to woprk with.  I send it out annually for a tune-up and cleaning, which I'd do with any machine I use.  Love it!