Chrism

New from NE Oklahoma

New here but I've lerked around here for oh almost past year or so. Been doing leather off/on. Started with tandy now mainly getting leather from SLC. My dyeing has been so so. Anyways I'm fixing to get an iwata airbrush (hp-bcs). Hobby lobby has a coupon now for 40% off! Already have an old paasche d500 compressors I used when I made small parts and painted them on my light sport aircraft I had. Anyways I've been focusing on wallets/bracelets. Learning how to use the awl is being little difficult but not hard until ya jab yourself (sore thumb!). Also any groups etc up in the NE corner of Oklahoma? Would like to hone in my skills and make some friends. 

Hey Chris,

Make certain that awl is sharp!  Strop it every time you use it, just like any other knife.  If your leather is properly cased and your awl is sharp, you will reduce (probably not remove) the possibility of stabbing your thumb.  When you get into tight spaces, you might consider making a buck plate -- simply a couple of pieces of dense leather glued together to reduce bending.  Don't bevel your edges, but dress them and apply whatever you use for a hardening agent. (Saddle soap works fine), Then as you ease the awl through the work you will feel it strike the buck plate but the plate will hold the primary leather in place and protect your hands.

I started using leather balm with atom wax on top of the dye. Then after burnishing the edges I use edge kote. But I like having the the edge match the dye sometimes. 

Edited by Chrism

Welcome!

I'm from North East Oklahoma too! Stilwell (Adair County) to be exact.  I just got into leather work a little over a month ago.  I wouldn't be any good for advise or tips or anything, but I make a decent friend lol.

I am in Enid, only been at it for a few months, learning a ton and very thankful for how accommodating this community is. 

I know this is an older post, but I am from Oklahoma as well. 

Oklahoma here also, VERY NE corner!

On 8/9/2017 at 4:02 PM, MendellLeatherOK said:

Oklahoma here also, VERY NE corner!

Ive been looking at your stuff on FB, Keep up the great work. 

On 8/19/2017 at 2:47 PM, HeartlandLeatherWorks said:

Ive been looking at your stuff on FB, Keep up the great work. 

Thanks!