RoperDKC

How do I- roughout/raw

If I wanted to just make an "unfinished" wallet or a roughout wallet, what would I need to do to the leather? 

"Unfinished" meaning no dyes or stains. 

Do I apply some sort of sealant? Oil? 

All insight is appreciated! 

-Roper

22 minutes ago, RoperDKC said:

If I wanted to just make an "unfinished" wallet or a roughout wallet, what would I need to do to the leather? 

"Unfinished" meaning no dyes or stains. 

Do I apply some sort of sealant? Oil? 

All insight is appreciated! 

-Roper

RoperDKC

It depends on the "Look" you want your item to age with.

If you leave veg-tan totally without anything on it the "patina" will take a "worn leather" body oil, stains from whatever gets on it from life and/or work. It will take a while but some like that.

By using only oil, (I only have experience with this using Pure Neat Foot Oil). Using a couple light coats on only the smooth surface will darken it a little, It will patina from handling much like above. If a darker natural brown is wanted, Lay it in the sun for a few hours after oiling. It will get a very rich redish brown if it is "good" leather.

If you choose to use the "rough out" side as the outside, use one even coat of NFO and let it be natural. What ever patinas and stains is just part of life. Thats what is cool about rough out ;-)

Rick