Sign in to follow this  
pkc

Help with a Singer Industrial 151 W1

Hello to all,

Happy Holidays. I have a few questions to ask I see that there are many on this site that are experts in the field I sure could use a hand. I have a Singer 151 W1 trying to find out what type of bobbin, thread and needles to use in this machine both the lightest and heaviest I can go with thread and needles. Thank you for any help. I have been looking on line everywhere with not luck. Below is the most info. I got.

Thank you for any help.

This is the best info. I have received

You will need to know which needle system your machine requires.

Pictures of the current needle and bobbin setup may help. Here is a link to the 1937 manual for it that has some charts on needle size to thread size for the machine, not sure how it'd translate to leather work. As far as the bobbins go, looks to me like the standard Singer bobbin they used for years (I quilt some so have a number of older singers and they all take that bobbin.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/364415/Singer-151w1.html#manual

Your machine uses Style F bobbins which are available on the big online auction site. Search for " bobbins for Singer 151W "  The Thread Exchange website usually lists some F prewound bobbins.

The 151 has a very minimal foot lift so it is relegated to thin materials. The walking foot does a good job on thin leather and although it lists up to a size 22 needle if memory serves, size 18 down with corresponding thread is most agreeable IMHO.

In the manual  that Schroedc shows above pay very close attention to oiling your machine. It has a reservoir that supplies lubrication to the hook and race.

Wow that was the fastest reply's ever Thank you so much I new when I found this site I would get answers.

Thanks so much again.

Pam

That will really help me.

Schroedc I did find that web site thank you for looking it up for me and you time.

machinehead your info is great and thank you for your time as well I will take your advice. :)

One more question for machinehead the thread size is? And ebay is a good place to buy needles and thread?

Thanks

Use a size 16 or 18 135x1 needle with Size 69 (T70) thread. Keep in mind that the 135x1 needle is not a leather point but is intended for fabric. It will work sufficiently on thin, soft leather however.The dealers that run banner ads on this site can help with thread and needles as well. You may find that your particular machine may also sew well with size 92 thread with a size 19 or 20 needle.

I can't believe all the help I got on this. Thanks so much again. I don't sew leather I sew canvas. I picked this up for $200 with everything motor and table but new nothing about it. So with this info and all your help I can finely buy some needles, thread and a few bobbins for different colors.

Thank you

Hi Everyone,

I am still stumped can't find where to get a needle with the 135x1? No seams to know so I took a picture of the needle that I had that broke and this is what it looks like.

any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you

20161213_124714.jpg

It looks like SB 90?

Get on ebay copy and paste in search

10 singer 62 151 Sewing Needle 135X1 DPx1 354 1451 #14

It is actually GB which stands for Groz-Beckert, a very old German company. The 90 is eqivalent to a size 14 needle  This dealer has other sizes available as well.

4 hours ago, machinehead said:

Get on ebay copy and paste in search

10 singer 62 151 Sewing Needle 135X1 DPx1 354 1451 #14

It is actually GB which stands for Groz-Beckert, a very old German company. The 90 is eqivalent to a size 14 needle  This dealer has other sizes available as well.

Thank you Mr. machinehead great you are a man of many talents it seams great now I should be able to get some where. I did do a ebay search and they all said I needed a part number so they new what machine I had. So thank you again. Have a great evening and week.