KeepItSimple

Singer 153W103 stopped walking after adjusting stitch length

I bought a Singer 153W103 sewing machine a few days ago. It was sewing nicely when I tested it  

After setting it up today and testing it on leather and webbing, I tried adjusting the stitch length. as I did this there was a distinctive clunk noise. The feed dog appeared to have dropped below the surface level at it's highest level. The feed dog and the feet both stopped the walking action. So now when I try to use it it just stitches in the same hole..

I have tried adjusting the stitch length back but no joy.

Any suggestions on how to get it working again would be appreciated. 

You probably have released the safety clutch or the timing belt broke.

Maybe this video from LW member UWE will help you

Edited by Constabulary

Not a machine I know anything about but found this older posting which you may have missed. http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/49686-singer-153-w-103-timing-info/

May be of some help.Regards Brian

Thanks Guys,

Some great information there. The  clutch is still engaged. I'll see if I can check the timing marks and top lever to see if that part of the timing is still ok. 

If the feed dog dropped down I would pull the front cover off (cant recall if its two screws on there or not) and check how everything looks underneath. The timing shouldnt cause the feed dog to drop down, sounds like something may have come loose. 

I am not a pro on these but have messed around with my 103 and a consew version (both of which I need to go thru). I also noticed under the top access plate (just forward of the pulley) the connecting linkage that translate down to the driven shaft for the feed dog is loose you wont get any walking motion and it will just stitch in place. 

Plus one on the looksee under the feed dog covers.

And it sounds as two different system areas so we or I could use a bit more info to better help.  I don't know why but at first read I thought of a loose presser foot mechanism somewhere that moved, but it warrants a good look around I better say.

good day

Floyd

if you have the chance post some good clear pictures from all sides and / or a video. Also look behind the face plate if everything is in order.

Here are a few short videos of different views of the machine

Edited by KeepItSimple
Added another video

At the moment ( first coffee ) the last vid seems to be the reverse or stitch linkage area and shaft, so will have to figure what these parts might have in common with stitch length.

In another step later on the presser feet adjustment, it looks as though the step height/equalization can use adjusting, maybe my morning eyes!

back to adjustment, as mentioned what effect now is any stitch re adjustment, any vids there.

Excellent work and time spent showing the issue

Floyd

Edited by brmax

Unfortunately, the stitch length mechanism on the 153's was not a bright spot for Singer. Yours appears to have been set to zero, and then the pot metal threads broke. They almost all fail at some point. There's a fairly simple work around under the cover plate on the top of the machine, near the hand wheel. You'll see some small hex head bolts that hold the eccentrics together. Loosen those up and you can manually adjust the stitch length. A little trial and error will restore your stitch length. After that, as Floyd indicated you'll need to balance out your presser feet motion. You can do this according to the manual which if you don't have one, you can download it. I think you'll find that after you balance you presser feet, you feed dog height will be restored. From your video, the feed cam is moving normal.  I wouldn't adjust any thing until you set the stitch length under the cover plate and adjust your feet motion. These are great machines if it weren't for the design flaw of the stitch length adjustment. I use several for binding. The video shows the cover plate near the end of it. Have fun! 

Regards, Eric 

6 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Have you tried to adjust to a longer stitch length again?

Hi Constabulary,

Yes but it made no difference. It still sewed in the same hole. 0 stitch length.

thank you for asking though. 

Kind regards

Paul

1 hour ago, gottaknow said:

Unfortunately, the stitch length mechanism on the 153's was not a bright spot for Singer. Yours appears to have been set to zero, and then the pot metal threads broke. They almost all fail at some point. There's a fairly simple work around under the cover plate on the top of the machine, near the hand wheel. You'll see some small hex head bolts that hold the eccentrics together. Loosen those up and you can manually adjust the stitch length. A little trial and error will restore your stitch length. After that, as Floyd indicated you'll need to balance out your presser feet motion. You can do this according to the manual which if you don't have one, you can download it. I think you'll find that after you balance you presser feet, you feed dog height will be restored. From your video, the feed cam is moving normal.  I wouldn't adjust any thing until you set the stitch length under the cover plate and adjust your feet motion. These are great machines if it weren't for the design flaw of the stitch length adjustment. I use several for binding. The video shows the cover plate near the end of it. Have fun! 

Regards, Eric 

Hi Eric,

Thank you for the great advice. I will have a look at it when I get back from work in around 12 hours. 

Just one question? What's the eccentrics? 

Cheers

Paul

Edited by KeepItSimple

The eccentric is the oblong cam that makes the feed dogs rise and fall. 

6 hours ago, brmax said:

At the moment ( first coffee ) the last vid seems to be the reverse or stitch linkage area and shaft, so will have to figure what these parts might have in common with stitch length.

In another step later on the presser feet adjustment, it looks as though the step height/equalization can use adjusting, maybe my morning eyes!

back to adjustment, as mentioned what effect now is any stitch re adjustment, any vids there.

Excellent work and time spent showing the issue

Floyd

Hi Floyd,

Thank you for your observations. I am an absolute beginner when it comes to sewing machines. So it is quite likely that I have made some incorrect assumptions and the reverse or stitch linkage mechanism I videoed is not related to my issue. 

I really don't know what things are yet with this machine and did not think it had a reverse mechanism or how that gets engaged.  

Thank you to you and all the others here that are assisting with this issue. 

I'll have a look later at it when  get back from work

cheers

Paul

26 minutes ago, gottaknow said:

The eccentric is the oblong cam that makes the feed dogs rise and fall. 

Thank you

Well good news guys!

I could not find 2hex bolts for the eccentrics under top cover but noticed the knob for the stitch length adjuster was protuding more than what I would expect. So I gave it a firm tap with my palm and instantly the feed dog started working and the walking action started working. It dies look like the presser feet timing will need adjusting.