Rabble

Wrist Cuff

I've only been doing leather work for a few months and the projects I've done so far have been wet formed holsters.  

I'd like to shout out a thank you to JLSLeather for the 1911 patterns and the very helpful guide on how to make a pattern for a different model.  I promise I'll post a pic when I have one I feel good about. :)  (should be soon, my latest (3rd) is coming out reasonably nice so far) :yeah:

I wanted to experiment/practice-the-basics, a bit (and do my first buckle) and thought it'd be fun to make myself a wrist cuff.  I stopped wearing a watch a while back.

Looking for some advise on how to treat the inside and outside of it and as I've already learned a lot from reading the forums here, was hoping I could impose on you guys and gals. :rolleyes2:

The "outside" layer (with the strap/buckle) is 6oz veg tanned H. O. and has only been cleaned with Fiebing's Saddle Soap, then had an application of Fiebing's 100% pure Neatsfoot oil.  The color came out so cool that way I decided not to dye it.

That layer will be stitched onto the grain side of the "inside" layer (same leather) which has been cleaned, then dyed with Fiebing's Medium Brown Leather Colors.  I believe this one is water based, it's my intention to switch to oil "Pro" line, but had this on the shelf. So, flesh side against my skin.

I was thinking that Fiebing's Leather Sheen might not be good for the outside of something that i'd like to be pliable and somewhat soft, and was concerned it might crack...  Though I would like the outside to be shiny.  Think spit shined shoes.  

I have Resolene, Tan Kote, Mink Oil Liquid, and Golden Mink Oil (paste), Carnauba Creame (all Fiebing's), and a block of pure yellow Beeswax from Skakich (that I've yet to find a use for), on my shelf, and of course the items mentioned above.  I'm open to ordering in something else if I need to.

I'm not in any hurry and I don't mind putting in the elbow grease to get this done right.  Amazing how much better things come out if I take it slow and careful. :)  

I don't expect the outside to take much abuse other than what the weather in Maine can throw at us (so, water), the inside would just be perspiration.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

My husband makes men's cuffs and I make dog collars, and we both use Resolene   

My hubby uses 1 coat of Resolene cut 50/50  OR  60/40 with water for the inside of his bracelet/cuffs..      Stir it, and then wait till all those pesky bubbles have disappeared.    Then LIGHTLY  wipe ONE coat on the inside.   Let it dry overnite  

The outside he puts 2 LIGHTLY SWIPED coats.      Makes sure you wait hours.. Even overnite to put coat number 2 on.   

Hes never had an issue with his cuffs.     

I do the same thing with my collars that are dyed and painted.   2 very light coats let em dry overnite in between the coats  

*and nothing will "waterproof" the leather but will make it resistant to rain etc just not the shower or swimming!;)