Scott1952

Question, Firearm types/models?

Question for the Pros. What type/models of pistols do you make most of your holsters for?

Question for the Pros. What type/models of pistols do you make most of your holsters for?

Mostly pocket holsters for J Frame Smith and Wessons followed by beltslide holsters for Glocks.

Randy

1911,some glock,Single Action Colts,Clones of Colts.

Hi Scott,

I do mostly CAS (Cowboy Action Shooting) gunbelts so mostly wheelguns:

Ruger Vaquero and New Vaquero (different guns)

Colt SAA and a lot of it's clones

Ruger Old Army also Remington 1858 for the coal burners

Occasionally a Schofield, usually Italian which are a little different (larger) then the originals

I don't do a lot of autos, but a few for CC:

Colt 1911 in every flavor under the sun (it's like Baskin Robbins)

Beretta 92s (only in this area)

"Modern" CC wheelguns:

S&W 36, 49 small J-Frame and Taurus variants and clones

S&W 649, 60 large J-Frame and Taurus clones

Colt Detective Special

Really, what you do is dependent on what you WANT to do, and what can generate enough volume to keep you busy. If I had to make a living at it, I wouldn't do CAS gunleather as everyone who could cut and sew got into it and flooded a market which has been shrinking dramatically over the past few years anyway. Duty leather is pretty much taken-up by the factories, so CC work is where the market may be, maybe.

Art

Like Art , I do mostly cowboy gun leather for guys getting started in sass. Mainly has a hobby for a little extra cash. Colts and colt clones, Ruger Vaqueros, etc.

Hi Guys

At a gun show a couple weeks ago I was talking with one of the leaders of the local

NRA. It seems the gun they have chosen for the "Gun of the Year" is the Ruger

New Vaqueros.. They have a pair to give away at the raffle at this springs

banquet. To make a long story short... before he finished talking it seems I had

somehow managed to volunteer to make holsters for them. Now, I have made

holsters before. I made mine and a friends for our SASS gear. I have never lined

a holster so I'd like to know what your opinion on lining is. Also can you give me

any ideas and help in this project???

Sorry if I stole this thread... but I need help

JoAnn

Scott...

I do mostly CCW holsters for cops in my area (I am a working cop, so I know ALOT of people who carry guns for a living). I make the vast majority of my holsters for duty guns, or their compact versions... Mostly Sig P220's, Glock 22's, Sig P239's, GLock 26/27's, 1911's of every make imaginable and j-frame S&W .38's.

I just got 3 more orders this week and 2 are for Glock 27's and one is for a J-frame Smith.....

Hope this helps with your questions.

-Tac

I'm a retired cop, started making holsters for myself and others in 1972. I have a fair collection of handguns, including some older models that many major holster manufacturers have dropped from their line (or have very limited production for).

Overall, my production is about 25% for 1911's (Government, Commander, Defender lengths), about 25% for Glocks (all varieties), 25% for S&W revolvers (mostly J-frame, a few K-frames), the remainder consist of Browning Hi Power (consistent demand), Kahr 9's & 40's (great little pistols!), and S&W autos (the old Model 39 is a consistently good seller, and the early 59 series remains good, as the major makers aren't doing those any longer).

I am adding Sig's, Springfield XD, and the new S&W M&P autos this year. Also thinking about Colt revolvers (Agent, Cobra, Detective Special as I get numerous inquiries for these), and the new Ruger autos.

That covers general production, holsters I make for sale to the general public. I price these very competitively, make holsters in batches of 10 to 12 at a time, trying to keep a 2 to 3 week inventory on hand. My typical buyer wants to buy it and have it, not wait for weeks.

Special orders come in regularly for other pistols, but I need to have the pistol to form the holster so this is limited to local customers (I don't want the hassles of a Federal Firearms License). For pistols that are relatively common, when I get a special order for one I have been known to make several, putting the others into inventory for sale (if one guy wants one you can be sure there are other guys looking for the same thing).

I have a limited, but consistent, demand for hunting holsters for the big hand cannons (Thompson Center Contenders, scoped revolvers, etc), for which the variety is very wide and each piece has to be made up for the specific gun (billing is time and materials on those, and the customer usually doesn't complain about the price).

For the more common modern pistols I try to use Ring's Blue Guns if available. I'm still using actual pistols for several of the older models. I had so many requests for the S&W 39 and 59 series that I actually bought used pistols (paid for themselves in holster sales within a few months).

I am currently making 6 different styles of holsters with variations including linings, etc. to customer specifications. Throw in a dozen different handguns and all of a sudden you have a lot of variations! And I am adding two new styles for 2009 (prototypes have been worn and tested by several people, changes made based upon good suggestions received by my "testers"----these guys get a new holster for free to help with the product development). I'm also trying to add magazine pouches and belts, as time permits, since more than a few customers would like to have matching sets. Why let the profit go to someone else?

Have been receiving a few inquiries from time to time from ladies wanting handbags for concealed carry. Might be worth researching, developing a product line, finding a handbag manufacturer to do the basic work set up to receive my holsters, test marketing.

When I started 36 years ago the market was pretty much limited to the people I knew and worked with. Now, with the internet, the market is the world. I have shipped holsters to 4 different countries, and practically every state in the U.S. And with 38 states having adopted "shall issue" concealed carry laws there are millions of citizens starting to carry regularly, so the demand is better than ever before.

I have called my little company Lobo Gun Leather, with the slogan "serious equipment for serious business". I have also started advertising "good equipment doesn't have to cost a fortune". Providing a quality product, delivering it quickly, and pricing it right, all have made it a successful business.

Production went over 100 items in December (first time for that). Looking for a shop to rent so I can get the materials and inventory out of the house and keep my wife happy. I may also have to hire someone and teach him or her how to pound hides, smoke, and drink beer at the same time (not a bad life!). Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms--- what a combination! Maybe the Treasury Department knew something when they created BATF?

Lot of thoughts here. Sorry if I have rambled on too far.

Hi JoAnn,

If you are doing "period" work, then linings were not typical, for holsters or belts. For modern day stuff, I do about 60/40 lined/unlined. I use about 6oz/6oz for a lined rig and about 11oz harness, bridle, saddle skirting, or strap leather depending on what I have and the look I want. For lining, you can use anything including same as front. I use horse butt on coal burner rigs that are lined. I pretty much get everything moss backed or gum it myself for unlined. I think the lined rigs look nicer, but that is about the only advantage other than some extra stiffness and you have the option of putting some spring steel in to keep the mouth open. If it is for presentation, line it. I line almost all of my belts...almost.

Art

Hi Guys

At a gun show a couple weeks ago I was talking with one of the leaders of the local

NRA. It seems the gun they have chosen for the "Gun of the Year" is the Ruger

New Vaqueros.. They have a pair to give away at the raffle at this springs

banquet. To make a long story short... before he finished talking it seems I had

somehow managed to volunteer to make holsters for them. Now, I have made

holsters before. I made mine and a friends for our SASS gear. I have never lined

a holster so I'd like to know what your opinion on lining is. Also can you give me

any ideas and help in this project???

Sorry if I stole this thread... but I need help

JoAnn

The majority of my holsters are built mostly for various 1911's and Glocks. Among those, the 5" 1911 and the Glock 19 are the most common.

Other popular models include the Springfield XD and the S&W M&P in there various sizes and callibres.

Hi JoAnn,

If you are doing "period" work, then linings were not typical, for holsters or belts. For modern day stuff, I do about 60/40 lined/unlined. I use about 6oz/6oz for a lined rig and about 11oz harness, bridle, saddle skirting, or strap leather depending on what I have and the look I want. For lining, you can use anything including same as front. I use horse butt on coal burner rigs that are lined. I pretty much get everything moss backed or gum it myself for unlined. I think the lined rigs look nicer, but that is about the only advantage other than some extra stiffness and you have the option of putting some spring steel in to keep the mouth open. If it is for presentation, line it. I line almost all of my belts...almost.

Art

Art, what does the term "moss backed" mean?

Tony.

Hi Tony,

That is a term Hermann Oak uses for flesh side treatment often called a Gummed Back by Wickett and Craig. Similar to applying Gum Trag to a buffed or leveled flesh side and slicking it down. The ones I get look like they are buffed (sanded) so you get a smooth even flesh side with even a little gloss. Thinking about it, they might only be band split or leveled, not necessarily buffed, but they are not just slicking down a rough or stringy flesh side.

Art

Art, what does the term "moss backed" mean?

Tony.

I'm about to order some 1911 blue guns. I'm a little confused as to what would be needed to cover the most popular sizes. From what I can tell the Government, Commander, and Defender are the popular ones, but I can't seem to find them on blueguns.com listed that way.

Can someone tell me if this is correct:

Defender lengths/widths will work with blueguns

Government lengths/widths blueguns

Commander lengths/widths blueguns

Thanks a bunch!!!!

Woolfe,

The guns you posted links too are the correct guns for the sizes you mentioned.

You will be happy with the results you get from the use of blue guns rather than real guns.

Good luck.

-Tac

Woolfe,

The guns you posted links too are the correct guns for the sizes you mentioned.

You will be happy with the results you get from the use of blue guns rather than real guns.

Good luck.

-Tac

Thanks!!!

Need a little help understanding the Smith & Wesson line.

I ordered this Smith & Wesson J frame so I would be able to make some of the popular gun holsters. I'm not sure but it looks like I can only make the model 36 for the 1 7/8" barrel smith & Wesson products. Is it possible to just dremel the barrel and put in a spacer so i could also make the model 36 with a 3" barrel?

Or is there a better way to go about it? Also, can i use this to make any other Smith & Wesson holsters. Thank you for your time!!!

I found an Ebay add and it looks like this guy is making one holster from the Bluegun in my previous post to fit all of these guns. Will this one bluegun really make holsters for all these? I copied and pasted out of his ebay add.

FOR THE SMITH & WESSON S&W J Frame series of Revolvers, 5 shot 2 INCH

S&W 36, 37, 60, 317 AIRLITE, 650, .38 CAL CHIEFS SPECIAL, CHARTER ARMS, PATHFINDER, UNDERCOVER, S&W BODYGUARD .38, 49, 442-1, AIRWEIGHT, 638-2, 640, 642-1 LADY SMITH; 649, 940

FITS MOST MAKES OF 38 special or 357 magnum Five shot revolvers

Including Taurus Model 85, 850, 605 revolvers