Meagan

Making Western Belts

Hello I am wondering if anyone might be able to help me. I am looking to set loomed beads into a belt. All the pictures I have seen of these beautiful belts look like the beads are set into the leather. Does anyone know how this is done? I the leather split then the inlay cut out? Is it a channel of leather removed? Looks like the sides are all stitched. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards

Meagan

il_570xN.682436969_ab04.jpg

That's two layers of leather. The top layer is cut out (like a window) for the beads. It is slightly smaller than the beads to hold them in, although they are glued too.

And if you don't want it to come apart, . . . take the beading threads long enough that they can be glued down onto the interior piece, . . . and when the stitching is done along the edges, . . . it will stitch them down too.

When I find the pattern I want to wear for 10 years, . . . I'm going to make myself one of these.

Had the hankering since I did this other piece a while back.

May God bless,

Dwight

beads.jpg

Thank you for the quick reply! and what beautiful bead work!! Looks like I will need to buy a skiving and splitting machine to make these belts.

:)

Actually, Meagan, . . . you will only need to buy different leather.  You cut the inside piece so that the hair side goes toward the person, . . . the outside piece is also cut from the same hide, . . . suggest 6/7 oz, . . . and that will make a really nice belt, . . . 

That, . . . because they are from the same hide, . . . should make them dye more uniformly as well.

May God bless,

Dwight

To aid your attaching the beadwork to the leather, you can stitch the beadwork to a fabric backing. The fabric backing can be slightly larger than the beads, then the edges of the fabric can tuck up under the top layer of leather. I remember guys using that technique 20 years ago when I was in the Boys Scouts and my friends were making dance & ceremonies outfits.

Thank you so much!

Kind regards

Meagan