338uwm

What oil is close to walnut oil finish

I've been tring to find something to dye some holsters with. As I've found ecoflo isn't going to work out very well. After looking at some holster catolages today I've noticed a color I like. It is called walnut oil. I'm not sure were to find it, or if it's just the color of a dye. To best describe the color it is a dark redish brown. The holsters I have will probably get wet at one time or another. Which is why I'm thinking that an oil will work better than a dye. I'm hopeing you guys can point me in the right direction.

I've been trying my hand at leather work for the past 4 months, and have learned more in the past week than I have in the 4 months. All from readiing on this site.

I add a rich brown oil stain to neatsfoot oil. The more stain you add the darker the look.

ed

When you say an oil stain are you talking about an oil base dye, or an oil stain like you would use on wood?

When you say an oil stain are you talking about an oil base dye, or an oil stain like you would use on wood?

a stain that you mix with oil. it's not a dye that you would apply by itself.

Many people sell this, but here's my goto, choose walnut from the dropdown:

http://www.eleatherworks.com/product.php?p...=602&page=1

Thanks for the input guys I'll order some of that oil dye, and try them on some scrap leather. All else fails I'll end up with a good collection of dyes, and other things. I'll be getting my old holsters out of storage aka my Dad's work shop. They are the color I'm looking for. So if I have no sucess. I'll post some pics of them. Thanks again Robert

One last question I hope. After mixing with neatsfoot oil will I have to apply resoline?

It's advisable to add a finish to any leather product once you've done all the dying you're gonna do. Some folks just go with oiled leather, others like the acrylic finish on them. Still others prefer a 'laquer' finish like Neat-lac. I agree with them. You'll just have to find the recipe that works best for you.

...and no, you can't mix resolene with the oil dye for a one shot application. The alcohol will do bad things to it.