Leerwerker

Measuring flip flop straps

I made this very successful pair of minimalist flip flops for myself and therefor could measure them on my feet for my feet.

Now someone else asked for a similar pair.  Is there standard lengths for the straps that would work for all feet or how would I go about it?

shoes-15.jpg

shoes-16.jpg

shoes-27.jpg

shoes-36.jpg

Summers coming. I needs me a pair 

It's easy to visualize the answer to this question if you think in terms of extremes.  Imagine a pair of sandals made for the diminutive feet of an Asian woman, let's say a size 4.  Now imagine the same straps applied to a pair made for Shaquille O'Neal at size 22.  Clearly the straps need to get longer to accommodate the larger foot, or we'd be assuming that a foot simply grows in length to get to size 22, but not height and width.  Since feet and hands are generally proportional, the longer the foot, the wider and higher it will also be. However, there are also variances among persons of similar sizes.  Some men have short, stubby fingers and some have long, thin fingers for a given palm size.  It's the same with feet, which is why we see different widths for shoes.  If you want to figure out a general measurement for flip-flops, take a rule in with you to a department store and measure a few different strap lengths from different brands of flip-flops and record the lengths against the sizes.  You'll begin to see a pattern for the GENERAL lengths for each size.