faithblinded

Singer 153 Advice Sought

Hi guys.  What a great forum!  I've learned so much already, reading old posts.  I come to leather through my love of old machines.  I started collecting domestics, but recently branched out into some industrials I always wanted(including a 29-4 I'm refurbishing, as well as as a 111W103).  Now I'm in deep and loving it.  

Today I picked up a pair of 153 machines, and would love some advice about them.  I know this is a popular machine type, and some of the modern machines are based on this design.  For starters, I'm wondering if there are any parts or functional differences between the 153W103, and the 153K103?  I got one of each.  Is there any argument to choose one over the other, based on model alone?

20170305_134316.jpg.bdfba04be9e15db2673d9614190a74d0.jpg20170305_134545.jpg.da12be3ffd060657be69d13adc9c2f72.jpg

I have read here and elsewhere, that if too worn, these machines can be a bit of a nightmare.  What would be the best way to determine which of my samples is best in that regard, once they are cleaned, oiled, and moving well? 

It looks like the feet for my 111W103 might also work on these machines.  Is that correct?  Do they share a needle type?  What about the bobbins?  It would be truly excellent if they shared all these...

What would be the largest thread needle combination I can run on one of these 153 machines?

Ok last question.  Is this stand I picked up with this flat feller acceptable for a 153?  It seems like it should be perfect.  I will get a servo and speed reducer, once I have a machine ready to work.  

20170302_140331.thumb.jpg.6a86a25c7581611b6af0a116c3df7908.jpg

Thanks for any and all responses.  I got these machines so cheap that even if they end up completely worn out, I will make my money back by selling the Atlanta folder, and a few parts.  Of course I'm hoping that with y'alls advice, I can get them both going again, or at least one.

20170305_134617.jpg.b567434e840938b8eb1f07e75d22a167.jpg

Yes,they take the same feet,bobbins & needles as your 111w,the only difference between the W & K is K stands for being made in the UK & the W machine was made in Bridgeport,CT.Give them both a real good lube job & try to sew on them & see what happens & yes,that stand should work for you too.

21 minutes ago, CowboyBob said:

Yes,they take the same feet,bobbins & needles as your 111w,the only difference between the W & K is K stands for being made in the UK & the W machine was made in Bridgeport,CT.Give them both a real good lube job & try to sew on them & see what happens & yes,that stand should work for you too.

Thanks Bob.  This is Ken over in Cleveland(you helped me with parts for my 29-4,adler 67, and 31-15).  I'll probably be calling you, once I figure out what bits I need to complete these two machines.  What is the largest thread I can get away with on the 153?

I recommend #138 but know of people that use larger but it will tend to jam easier when you go over 138.

What's that motorcycle you have?

That's my Triumph Scrambler.  I got run off the road a couple years back and dropped it.  I tore my right rotator cuff in the process, and it's still messed up.  Shoulder was so bad, I haven't been back on the bike since.  I think this season will be the one to get back on it.