jemry

Hello from Portland Oregon toolmaker

Hello All,

I was previously a hobby leather worker then I began making my own tools.  Turns out I like making the tools a lot.  So I decided to make a video showing exactly how I make leather stamps.  Much of it you may already know but I decided a video may be of interest to a lot of you.  I tried to show you how to do this with a about $60 in tools and with things that are readily availiable. I am not the best in the world but I can at least help you get started.  Here is the link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57XMPyKOy2E . 

In the future I will continue adding additional videos showing how to make many different stamps.  I will also show how to make strap cutters and swivel knives using bearings.  The big difference is that I try to use off the shelf stuff so there isn't a need for a lathe in many cases.  That is unless you wish to have knurling on your tools.  For this you can email me at legacytooling@gmail.com and I can make pre knurled blanks for a more finished tool.

Anyways, I am always appreciative of constructive feedback and would love to hear your insights and what you would like to see made.  I will answer any question that you may have, about leather tools, provided I know the answer, maybe even if I don't. 

Hope this is of use,

Josh

IMG_2535.JPG

So excited that you are here.  I'm not sure that I will make any of my own tools, but would love to learn.  Can I ask what you would charge for knurled blanks?

Thanks and Welcome!

27 minutes ago, cjartist said:

So excited that you are here.  I'm not sure that I will make any of my own tools, but would love to learn.  Can I ask what you would charge for knurled blanks?

Thanks and Welcome!

Glad that you are looking forward to learning.  I feel that the more people that get into it the more opportunity there is for some great creativity.  The knurled blanks vary in price as steel prices do.  Right now they are about $9 each.  Its not a production line.  I do these on a 1948 Clausing lathe so it takes a little time but it helps pay for my tool addiction. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Thank you!