Hi folks, in my day job we're designing a mechanical device that will use 2-1/2" wide leather drive belts similar to old school woodworking shops.  I had planned to simply apply neatsfoot oil to the belts and let the leather naturally age and darken, but the customer has requested matching a color sample that will most likely require dying the veg tan leather.  I'm a little worried about flexibility and cracking of both the finish and the leather since the belts will frequently be flexing over pulleys.  It will be a hand operated mechanism, so the belts will be running at low velocities. 

Should I worry about stiffening and cracking in the leather if I apply alcohol based stains with an airbrush?  Any thoughts or recommendations about approach and products would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks and best regards to all.

~Steve W.
Seattle

You always want to condition the leather to replace any oils that may be drawn out during handling, the best product for this is Pure Neatsfoot Oil (no compounds, they have way too many chemicals in them).  The application of dyes/stains will be no problem, just apply your oil after the coloring has dried properly and you should be okay.  Be careful not to overdo the oil though as it will turn the leather into a soggy, stretchy mess and it won't work too well as a drive belt.  There should also be no cracking, just make sure that you maintain the conditioning of the belt over the time of its use.

Edited by NVLeatherWorx

I have an ancient metal lathe that runs leather belting between countershaft and headstock. I installed a "temporary" replacement belt made from a 1/4" undersized, veg tan belt blank 15 - 20 years ago. It lives in an unconditioned shed, and I've applied neatsfoot oil exactly once ten or more years ago. Point being I don't think you have any worries within reason. Plan for lots of stretching when you size them, and the more sheave contact the better with regards to belt slippage. One of these days I'll install the correct latigo strap I purchased ....

Thanks for the replies folks!

Best regards,

Steve

Pretty much all my machines are leather belt driven. Biggest concern is the stretching that happens in first little while of use. I do not think staining would change how they operate. 

Always have to adjust them once have been in use, but then they get to a place it becomes no worries.