Wmleeb

Desiring info on my stitching horse

I acquired this stitching horse last month through buying out a kind gentlemans "man cave" hobbies. He said it had been passed between saddle makers over the years and he had bought it for $130 "years ago". 

Any information regarding company, year range of production, uses it originally had, etc would be much appreciated. 

I couldn't tell if my pictures showed up but it has a metal brace holding the wooden clamp. The metal has "patd 1894" (patent date)

Randall & Co Cin.O. (Cincinnati Ohio)

its in very good condition 

maybe pics will show up later

Randall has been in business since 1858 and they were then and still are today, one of the largest suppliers of leather machinery, parts and tools in the U.S.  The company name is now Campbell/Randall.  Stitching horses were made in two different styles.  One with straight in-line jaws and one with jaws that were set and turned a little to the left.  The straight jaw was designed for harness makers and the off-set jaw as made for saddle makers......

WmLeeb, Your pictures did not show. They also sold a metal jaw version originally patented by Doering. 

2 hours ago, Wmleeb said:

Is there a way I could post a picture?

it says I'm limited to a 1.46mb attachment 

make the picture smaller or use smaller resolution

Hopefully these pics come through 

IMG_8047.JPG

IMG_8045.JPG

IMG_8046.JPG

What's the value on something like this?

not planning to sell it, just curious 

thanks for all the help

I really like that a lot. As to the value as with most antiques it will depend on the market for that sort of thing. If I was the manufacturer, who I guess is still in business then id pay through the nose to get it back. take it to an appraiser of equine related antiques and see what they say...or antiques road show!