Dynamik1

Cutting 7-8oz

Gibbs,

The value of this website and its forums is the availability of knowledgeable folks to help us noobs in this journey. Your intention was meant well however the links did convey some information that was not totally correct (and you are not responsible for the content of the videos).

One of the primary rules in sharpening a knife blade is that the angle must be kept consistent and both sides must be consistent. The originator of the video clip did not have any narrative as to his experience level or what he was doing, yet it sounded like a production shop as I thought I heard tooling or stamping in the background. The head or round knife is a specialized knife that, when sharpened correctly, scares some of its owners so badly that they will not use it. Six inches of blade as sharp or sharper than a scapel. The stone he used was also dished out from useage. He was moving the handle end of the stone around and moving the blade around so much that I doubt seriously that the blade bevel angle would be consistent along the entire width of the blade. It also appeared the bevel was too narrow. At one point, he drug the blade edge off the stone and probably created a flat spot on the blade edge. Regardless, as was mentioned in previous posts in this thread, the blade, when sharpened properly, will not make any sound when cutting leather. Turn up the volume really loud and listed to the blade cut leather when he was testing the edge and also when he skived leather. I don't think the leather had been cased which may make a difference. The blade simply was not as sharp as it could have been. Was the blade sharp? Yes. Did it cut leather? Yes. Was its owner satisfied with the result? Yes.

Yet there was something to be learned from the videos. I have never used a head or round knife nor have seen one used. I have seen the instructions on how to use the head or round knife by Al Stohlman mentioned in a previous post but seeing someone use the knife is worth 10,000 words. I was amazed at how straight the cut line was. I noticed how he started the cuts in the corners and either rolled or pushed the blade to cut through the leather and stopped the cut before the other corner, then start in the corner and cut back to his original cut. Just as described in the book. I also noticed how close a couple of finger tips were to that blade. Human flesh should never be in front of the cutting edge of that blade! I noticed how even and thin the skived leather edge was when skiving on glass. Better than I can do with a utility knife and a safety skiver!

Additionally, for the noobs out there, there were other videos that were available that showed how to make a strop, how to add the compound to the strop, etc.. Any time there is video link, check out the others in that area, never know what you will find that may benefit you.

A couple of tips:

A quick test to see if there is any part of the blade edge that is not sharp is to hold the blade edge up with a source of light overhead. Examine the edge for reflected light (that is not sharp) or the lack thereof (that is sharp). What it shows are the flat spots or rounded edge.

As mentioned earlier, draw the edge over a thumb nail, wet or dry works. Also, one can use the barrel of a Bic pen or felt tip marker. The sharp edge will cut a little notch and when the part that is not sharp hits that area, the blade will slide down the nail/pen or marker barrel. Just grasp the knife handle with thumb and the first finger, rest the blade edge on thumb nail or other and draw edge across. Make sure that is a towel underneath in case it slips out of your grasp.

Take a black (blue, black, red - it doesn't matter as long as it is clearly visible) felt tip marker and color the entire bevel area of the blade, both sides. Then sharpen the blade as you normally do. Examine the blade. Any area with color was missed. Do the same when stropping the edge. You will be amazed at what you miss and it will help you improve your sharpening skills.

I respectfully offer the above response from the perspective of a noob who brings some other perspectives with me, not as a put down, but that there is much to be learned in this craft by one and all, and especially me.

Randy,

I believe the information offered by Mr Gibbs was intended as an exercise in sharing. Although I don't agree personally with the sharpening method used by the person in the videos and wouldn't do that to my knife, I do applaud the spirit in which it was brought to the community.

I think some members might be somewhat affronted by your 'Leather tools 101' explanation of what a Head knife is and what it's used for. Although by no means an Old Timer in leatherwork, I flatter myself that I know what most of my tools are for (there's always the odd surprise though :blush: ).

The sum total of the leatherworking experience on this amazing board runs into the thousands of years. As a self-confessed newcomer, who has never used a Head knife, it might be worth considering how the tone of your comments comes across.

If anyone feels I'm out of line here, please feel free to give me a slap :huh:

Karl

Make sure that is a towel underneath in case it slips out of your grasp.

I'll assume the towel is to catch all those fingers and thumbs shall I? <grin!>

...or perhaps its there to soak up the bood before it gets on the leather!

I've been using a head knife for a week or two now and I get along with it quite well. It took me a while to learn how to sharpen it properly but now I wouldn't be without one on my bench along with my two double sided strops, five sharpening stones, jeweller's rouge (white and red) and a small can of light machine oil... and yes I use them all quite frequently!

I find the head knife is perfect for straight cuts and long curved cuts in heavier leather. Of course it works well on softer leathers too but I prefer a rotary knife nowadays. About thirty years ago I thought I might leave off the head knife and tried a shoemaker's utility knife but it didn't feel quite right so I explored the dark world of craft knives and found some little yellow handled things made by Swann Morton the scalpel makers that were ideal for very fine work. They hold their edge very well indeed and can be stropped to a fine edge time after time. I couldn't be without one now.

My point is that one knife simply wouldn't be enough for me. Some folk pride themselves on only having one knife and I take my hat off to them. My work is so varied that I can't imagine that luxury - fancy only keeping one knife sharp... whoooee wouldn't that be nice! Somehow, I can't imagine using a head knife for fine filligree work or using my little scalpel blades for slicing belts. In the same way I like to use a plough gauge to cut straps. They all do different jobs.

The scissor issue is a tricky one as i'm a recent convert to leather shears. For many years I was unable to cut a straight line with shears but now it seems like I may be getting my eye at last... 'bout time too if you ask me!

I watched those videos that Mr Gibb kindly put on the forum for us and have to say that I probably wouldn' sharpen anything quite like that - but then I probably wouldn't take the same route between towns as many of the people who do the journey every day. We all learn from experience and if those video clips inspired even one person to learn how to sharpen correctly then they served a good purpose. Lets face it, if what you are doing doesn't work - and like Tony and Art, I have my doubts about that first sharpening stone! - then most folk will very soon find a way that does work.

I really enjoy the video clips that people put up here. There was a superb laced bracelet making video a while back that inspired me to buy one. I remember the incredible spray can artist clips - amazing. Let's not discourage anyone from putting stuff on here that could teach us something and respect the comments people make about what they see.

As the wooly hatted Badger so rightly says: "The sum total of the leatherworking experience on this amazing board runs into the thousands of years" but we mustn't lose sight of our need to learn and for the pressing need to pass on our knowledge whenever we can - none of us are here for ever.

Okay - I'll stop pontificating at this point and get back to making my tooled dog collars...

Sorry if someone has said this but I us a piece of metal that looks like a piece of steel banding strap that has been shaped and can be reshapened. It is flexible and you pull it but once you learn to use it it works great. Will try to post a picture of it this weekend. Oh and it works great making curves!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by jawilliams

Marlon, Your link to the "How to use the Head Knife" does not work for me. The one for sharpening works great, and I appreciate it lots. Could you double check that link? It may be a prob with my computer, but I really need that info. Thanks!

TZHunter