calanneh

Defuzzing the back of really thin vegtan????

I have some 3-4oz vegtan I am making into wristbands and chokers but the backs are kinda fuzzy. They are a bit too thin to skive without risk of cutting too much.

Whats the next best way to make the back look better? I have trimmed it with scissors and then 'painted' some with Gum Tag and that helped, but there are some pieces that are just too hairy......

What yall think??

William

You could try an electric shaver, if that doesn't work use 1oz goat as a liner.

Use a sander with 150 grit or so. This will take the fuzz off and still allow you to rub it smooth. Just the vibrating wood type sander works great. If it is really fuzzy, you may have to use coarser paper, as the finer will clog up faster. A belt sander ends up leaving streaking, similiar to a wood grain look. Try it on a scrap piece first, but it has worked for me several times.

Barry

Just throwing this out there as a possibility:

What about one of those sweater shaver things?

Or, maybe a blowtorch set on low flame to scorch the fuzzies off, sort of like scorching off pinfeathers.

I used packaging tape to keep it from warping while tooling, and while pulling it off, the adhesive half came off and pulled the rough fuzzyness up - so I was left with a sticky and really fuzzy surface. Just hand sanding in a circular motion with really coarse paper took care of it, and left a nice slightly fuzzy but buffed surface. If I'm not lining it, I plan on it now as a step. Also, when dying and finishing any non-sewn edges, I spend a little time at the end to sand out the dye spillover on the flesh side.

Edited by BustedThumb

I used packaging tape to keep it from warping while tooling, and while pulling it off, the adhesive half came off and pulled the rough fuzzyness up - so I was left with a sticky and really fuzzy surface. Just hand sanding in a circular motion with really coarse paper took care of it, and left a nice slightly fuzzy but buffed surface. If I'm not lining it, I plan on it now as a step. Also, when dying and finishing any non-sewn edges, I spend a little time at the end to sand out the dye spillover on the flesh side.

I've had good luck with using Gum Tracanth. Just apply a liberal amount, smooth the fuzzies down and let it dry. :D

I've found that gum trag does not hold up well next to sweaty skin and will actually get slimy. I have had much better results with a light coating of Bag Kote and immediately slicking with a wood slicker to smooth out the fuzz. This works very well & doesn't get slimy with sweat.

I have some 3-4oz vegtan I am making into wristbands and chokers but the backs are kinda fuzzy. They are a bit too thin to skive without risk of cutting too much.

Whats the next best way to make the back look better? I have trimmed it with scissors and then 'painted' some with Gum Tag and that helped, but there are some pieces that are just too hairy......

What yall think??

William

Hand sanding works pretty good. 150 and 200 grit and a sanding block. Use the 150 to knock down the big bits then 200 (or finer grit) get it more like suede. Then gum trag and slick. ;) then seal it with your favorite sealer like super sheen, wyo-shene, or Resolene.

Oh gack... someone resurrected a dead thread. LOL Oh well.

Edited by Sylvia