Here is my second scabbard, similar to the one I posted previously- built with the same pattern but slightly different design elements.

I wish I had remembered to take a shot of the piece at the end of the scope, I had some fun trying out the rope border on this one

2017-07-18 16.22.44.jpg

2017-07-18 16.19.47.jpg

That looks really cool! Of course, I have no practical experience with scabbards to draw from... But I like it! A couple of questions, like what is the hole in the flap for? And why is your flap so narrow? What is the purpose of the straps? By the way, really nice job on the strap retainers :)

Nice color! What is the lining? I'm looking at making at least three of these for my lever actions. No scopes, but I'm thinking the Stohlman book will set me on the right path.

ANKU?

And we REALLY want to see the rope border!

Edited by alpha2

5 minutes ago, CaptQuirk said:

That looks really cool! Of course, I have no practical experience with scabbards to draw from... But I like it! A couple of questions, like what is the hole in the flap for? And why is your flap so narrow? What is the purpose of the straps? By the way, really nice job on the strap retainers :)

Thanks! 

The hole is where the bolt handle pokes through the flap- not sure if its narrow or not, I just made it all fit together... I'll look for a pic of it with a gun in too.

The straps are nice and long for hangin it off a saddle, my inlaws do a lot of hunting with their horses.

And I sorta wish I had made the retainers a little beefier but I do like how they look :-)

8 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

Nice color! What is the lining? I'm looking at making at least three of these for my lever actions. No scopes, but I'm thinking the Stohlman book will set me on the right path.

ANKU?

And we REALLY want to see the rope border!

Thanks! I didn't line these with anything, just rough side in. Some lining would help make it even more rigid though.

'Anku' is a nickname my brother-in-law ended up with somehow. Im afraid to dig into the exact meaning. I just build m..

The reason I ask about the flap, I am used to seeing them like the old flap holsters, where the flap is the width of the holster. But, like I said, I have no practical experience. That is why I ask. I've also never seen one for a bolt rifle like that. Where did you get your pattern or inspiration from?

I guess the design is sort of a composite of a couple old scabbards the guys had before and some input on what else was needed. They seem to like them so far, but this fall will be the first hunting season of use so we shall see.

Heres a pic with a rifle tucked in showing how the flap folds over

IMG950862.jpg

Ok, I see what you did there. It is more of a wide retaining strap, and not a narrow butt flap. Ok, very cool. Your work is well done, and I like the way you adapted it to suit the need. I know I'll be doing a scabbard sooner or later, so I'm watching for different features... like the straps. I don't normally deal with horse people, but they are out there.

Here is the pic I was missing, showing my attempt with the rope border stamp.

I think next time I need to scribe a light guide line for the border.. this one I free-handed

IMG950871.jpg

You did a lot better than I could!!! Excellent job!