leahlowe

Lining a Headstall

Looking for some advice or where to find out to

properly select leather to create a western headstall that won't stretch and last. I know it needs to be lined, but with what? What oz of leather should I use? Veg tanned? 

Personally, for working headstalls, I prefer a single, heavy layer of russet harness leather.  In my experience, a headstall made from this will outlast a doubled and stitched headstall.  A headstall that is frequently adjusted, for example a horse trainer may use that headstall on multiple horses in a day, the leather will crack between the buckle holes and the stitch holes.  There just isn't much grain left between the holes after it's all stitched up an the holes are punched.  If you are set on lining it, I would use a top layer of 7/8 and a liner of 6/7.  Russet harness is a good choice for your top layer, and you may either line it with that as well, or latigo.  I've seen equine equipment lined with so-called oil-tan leather, which is an oily chrome tan, and the liner eventually curls at the edges and shrinks and cracks.