monger

Finish for English bridle dog collar

I picked up some W&C English bridle to make a dog collar, and I was wondering how best to finish it, having never used bridle leather. It is very dry, definitely not the waxy stuff I was expecting.

Before everyone says resolene, I don't like it and won't use it. The products I own are Montana Pitch-Blend, neetsfoot oil, carnauba creme, bag kote, and Wyosheen.  My plan is to grease the heck out of it with MPB and buff with carnauba. I would like to use the Wyosheen, but I'm concerned it will get flakey under canine conditions.

Any thoughts?

I personally haven't tried bridle, but I'd like to. To my knowledge, true English bridle is waxy and can be buffed with a rag without applying anything at all. And just touch up once in a hike with carnauba cream. 

Here's a thread to look at. 

It says that domestic bridle leathers like yours can be dryer. One person testifies to Aussie conditioner which is very nice stuff. I would recommend that or carnauba cream be after using MPB. Aussie conditioner is a feibings product and is essentially petroleum jelly and beeswax and some people use a bit of heat when working it in. 

Hope this helps. 

Might try using tallow fat on an offcut if you have one.

English bridle leathers are made with oils and tallows. Usually the oils are some sort of fish oil I think. Tallow fat is literally rendered from offcuts of beef or pig fat.

For finishing leather i make a blend of tallow and beeswax that is about 50/50... been using it on pieces in my everyday carry without concern of spoiling for about 6 months now.

Where do I get tallow fat? Well here in Australia I get it from the supermarket. It's next to the sticks of cooking butter, in a packet called "superfry" and costs under $5. I am certain there would be an equivalent in most locations.