TomG

Making a vintage bag

I have a customer who wants me to make him an “authentic” 1810 era Sequoyan carry bag.  He is supplying the leather.  He has sent a pretty detailed drawing of what he wants.  No modern threads or machine sewing. All hand punched holes and rawhide lacing.
It’s a pretty big bag, with gussets.  I don’t have any real problems doing it, per se, but I have no idea of what a 19th century Indian bag would look like and Google has not been my friend. I have 2 questions, if anyone can answer either or both <g>

11)      Do you think the stitching should be inside or just butting the edges together and whip stitching it. I doubt that the early Indians had saddle stitching or anything fancy, but I could be wrong.

2 2)      How do I price something like this?  Having never made one, I can’t even begin to know how long it will take..

For me the "design and layout is always the toughest part of any project.  If he's wanting you to do the research, then let him pay for your efforts.  If he's got something in mind and you don't deliver, it's on you (at least in his eyes). I recommend you ask your guy what he wants, then charge time and materials. 

Understand that!  He sent me a 3D hand drawing.. pretty good visual...
What I'm planning is to make a full sized pattern from his drawing and dimensions and make a paper copy first for his approval. I'll just leave the type of stitching up to him.
Still struggling with a price range.  I'm not sure how long it will take to make. But, I'll figure something out <g>