ChasCS

Rare Hackbarth Swivel Knife ~ Translucent Blade

I saw this ad on eBay this afternoon, and thought it was pretty neat. 

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vtg-Rare-Adjustable-Hackbarth-Swivel-Knife-Leather-Tools-w-Translucent-Blade-/162787294949?hash=item25e6e0fee5

I had been looking up any info. I could find, on care of the old Tandy Rubiat swivel knife blades, and ambled across this unique ad.

That's the first time I had ever seen or heard about any "translucent blades, made for swivel knives. 

But the Hackbarth company of leather work tools, is also very new to me. 

That blade looks sharp, but I wonder about keeping it sharp and protected...?

It's estimated price is quite high, 

Starting bid:
US $199.99
Approximately C $254.65
0 bids ]

Chas

image.jpeg

To that end, this old forum thread was also discovered

Interesting read. I have to decide how to proceed with my old Tandy Rubiat swivel knife blade. 

Chas

The clear blade In believe is the "sapphire" blade that Tandy sold for a while. An even shorter lived offering than the "ruby" blade so that may indicate something. The blade has some collector value to  a Tandy or swivel knife  collector.

The swivel knife is a Hackbarth and could have made by either Ray Hackbarth up until the mid 1960s or later Ellis Barnes who acquired  the rights to use the Hackbarth name. Ray Hackbarth was one of the first to make stainless steel stamps on any scale and have a few versions of swivel knives he sold. Nice knives with comfortable yokes.