Sign in to follow this  
clarkscent

Leather cracks turned black.

Hello there.

I bought this Chesterfield-style couch & chair. It was abit rough but i liked the patina. What i didn't like so much was how light the brown colour had turned.

So first i tried leather conditioner which just made it brighter and shinier. Tried different kind of oils which didn't do much at all. I think it has some kind of film on it.  Tried some paint thinner under a cousin which at first made the brown alot lighter. If i kept rubbing for awhile it turned much darker (something i would like). This was on a dark spot tho which haven't been exposed to the sun, so it's original brown was already pretty dark.

Worst problem is i think i used abit much conditioner over some cracks which turned them black, and it wont go away. So thinking of trying to remove the film with acetone then oiling the leather to match the cracks, as i pretty much already ruined it.

Uploaded a picture of it, you can see how light the cracks was at the top right, which i didn't mind. The picture doesn't do it right as the cracks are even darker.

https://imgur.com/a/XGrdi

4lamyzC.jpg

Edited by clarkscent

22 hours ago, clarkscent said:

Rubbed some paint thinner on the black cracks which seemd to remove the black from the cracks.

Anyone got any idea if it's possible to get the brown to a darker brown?

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 3:13 AM, clarkscent said:

Rubbed some paint thinner on the black cracks which seemd to remove the black from the cracks.

Anyone got any idea if it's possible to get the brown to a darker brown?

Hello, have you considered trying some oil based leather dye? pick a color of your choice and try it on a small spot out of the way and see if it works. Not sure if there is a protective finish on the over all furniture piece. Not sure what you could do otherwise. However when I was at the local leather store the other day they did have a product that said finish stripper on it. Not sure what it did. I'm sure if you have a local leather store they could give you some guidance. Also I'm sure someone else here on the forum could help. Also how about trying some good old saddle soap to clean the entire piece first. I hope these suggestions may help you. Good luck.