Sign in to follow this  
bruce johnson

Drawdown Stands

It seems like drawdown stands are one of those things that vary from shop to shop. Most of us at least started with a wooden stand, probably made it ourself. Some of us are still using the original, have modified it, or moved up to a hydraulic - homemade or commercial. I would like to get a discussion going on what everyone thinks is the best for their own use.

To kick it off, I started with a modification on a old wooden saddle stand I made 20 years ago - cut a slot in it, put in an arm and wedged the arm to create tension. It worked OK, gave me pretty much all the range I needed for the arm. It was a good height for shaping ground seats and "low" work, but a lot of bending over for sewing cantle bindings/horns, and screwing in conchos. Two years ago I made one on the same pattern, but higher. It worked well for "high" work, and was less fatiguing. The advantages of two stands was that I could be working on two things at once. Disadvantage was that I had two stands in the shop, and my space is pretty tight.

This spring we went to the Wickenburg show. My wife scouted ahead, and found Ron's Tools. By the time I got there she was convinced I "needed" one of his hydraulic stands. I went home with one and have no regrets. The top really holds a tree nicely. The drawdown spring is mounted to the post, not the base like some. I can pivot the tree all round and not have to remove the strap. I can raise or lower likewise with the strap in place. Makes working at a comfortable height much easier and faster. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but the work pivots to me. I don't have to walk around to the other side. I can lay my tools out on one bench, and not carry them around with me. I have the removeable overhead arm, and laser attachment. It shoots horizontal, vertical, or crosshairs. Just line it up on the centerline of the tree, and it ensures even rigging placement, checks trees for even cantles, etc. I haven't done a Cheyenne roll since I got it, but there is a tip up arm to raise the tree for that. The biggest advantage is that one stand has replaced the other two, is easier to work with, and has a smaller footprint in the shop than either of others by themselves.

I know Ron isn't the only maker of these, and thousands of trees cross a wooden drawdown every year. I would like to hear what others are using, and where they would or have changed on them.

Bruce

Hello Bruce

I am still using the wooden one that I started off with around 40+ years ago. It is fairly tall because of my height and students have a little trouble working with it. It is pretty conventional as far as stands go and probably a little on the heavy side.

I have always wanted one of the hydraulic ones but have not actually seen one in person. As a result, Everytime I put the money aside for one I spend it on new stamping tools and other goodies that I think I can't live without.

They seem pretty expensive. Do the benefits justify the cost? What if anything would you consider to be a drawback ? What would you change? What is your favorite and most useful feature?

I haven't talked to an actual saddle maker that uses one, only the people selling or making them so your opinions will be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Blake

Blake,

The biggest disadvantage is the cost. I know several guys can make these themselves, and I probably could too, but Ron has worked bugs out I wouldn't have thought of. I bought the overhead arm with laser, the cantle binding arm lifter thing, and the stand. (I also bought the stirrup stretcher, but let's leave that for another topic). All together for everything I think it cost me about $1200. That is why my wife had to talk me into it, and she is now Ron's best oustside salesman. She showed everybody we knew at Wickenburg, and was still demoing it to friends at the Elko show.

When I got it home and set it up, it was like an addition onto my shop, not into my shop. I could actually walk around that area easily. I was able to move out both my other drawdowns. I sold one. The other is out in the shed, for when I need to twist and stretch some leathers on a repair saddle (or the new ones that didn't get that "option" done at the factory) or need to draw something down on two saddles (?). That shed is kind of the "mothball fleet" for me. If I put something out there and don't need it a preset timeframe, it is sold. The stand has a month to go.

The benefits of the hydraulics is that I can raise and lower the work to fit me. I can pivot it around or raise and lower with the strap on, without changing the tension or turning the whole base. Weaver's hydraulic stand has eyebolts in the base to attach the strap to. When you raise it, that creates the tension. You may not be able to raise it to the best height w/o loosening or tightening the strap. On Ron's I can loosen the base on mine without changing height or tension, give it a spin and work on the other side. I have benches on three sides of the drawdown area. Before with two stands, I couldn't turn them easily, I walked around. Never failed, the one tool I left on the other bench was the one I needed. Now I could almost sit on a stool and build. This is my most favorite feature.

Other favorite features of this model vs. others. The top is molded to fit a tree. It is not a flat plank covered with neoprene. On mine it will hold a tree. I can skive a ground seat without a strap. It is heavy enough to pound against without skating. The laser deal is cool. I haven't had a chance to sew a binding yet with the arm. It locks in several positions. so should be OK. I am feeling about this stand like I did when I went from the Boss stitcher to the Adler to the Ferdco. It reminds me of the old Surge milking machine slogan - "If I only had one cow, and she only had one tit, I would still use my Surge milker".

I know I am in a different position than a lot of makers. Right now, I am looking at having a complete shop with the right equipment. At some point the shop is going to be making more/most/all of my income. Even though the shop is a legitimate business and income producer, the tax benefits now outweigh balancing new purchases against straight shop income in the future. With the two sewing machines, the bell knife skiver, and this stand, I have reached what I feel is the point of having 'enough'. Now all I need is more knowledge.

Bruce

Edited by bruce johnson

I'm still using a wood drawdown I built in 1983. Every time I see a picture of one of Rons or Weavers, I want one pretty bad. A few years ago I picked up a hydraulic stand for a beauty shop chair, which I planned to make into a new drawdown. I see them from time to time I picked this up for maybe 20 bucks. My biggest problem, and I know I'm not alone in this, is that if I'm out working in the shop, do I work on that draw down or finish one of the many orders I'm running behind on? Well, I guess maybe if I had a decent drawdown I wouldn't be so far behind...................

I have been using a wooden drawdown stand that I have modified and rebuilt a couple of times over the years, I guess you could say it is an old stand since it was my grandfathers, not sure, but it could have been used by my great grandfather also, I do use his stitching horse though. Anyways back on topic, I am finally getting up with the times, I just got a barber chair yesterday, has anyone made their own stand from a barber chair, if so I sure would appreciate some photos of what you did. I have seen some barber chair stands over the years but I don't recall how they should be made. So if anyone could help with my quest and give the pros and cons they have seen on homemade stands that would be great.

Bruce,

I just received one of Ron's horses from UPS today. I meant to bring it up on the phone earlier but didn't. Normally I wouldn't spend the money, but for tax reasons I did. I've been using two wooden horses I got from Shoup. One he built in '49, the other he built for me when I apprenticed with him. Anyway, I often find myself needing another draw down horse. I wanted one with a barber stool base similar to one I saw in Paisley, OR at Babb's shop a long time ago. I seem to spend a lot of time running around saddles being built. So far I think I'm going to really like it. Although, I think the laser arm bracket should of been put on the back side of the horse, rather than the front.

Ryan Cope