MikeG

Thread feeding problem

Not wanting to hijack another thread, I am starting a new one.

In a recent thread about unbalanced stitching, Wizcrafts made this comment:  "Keep an eye on the thread as it unwinds from the spool. Follow the thread as it makes its way to the top tensioner disks. Watch for any sign of binding as the thread comes of the spool. Watch out for twisting that forms loops and knots in the top thread. Either of these things will increase the top tension temporarily, causing the knots to move up."

This exactly describes a problem I routinely experience.   I am using a thread stand and the thread spools off from the top.  What tricks or tweaks can help me avoid this problem?

Sounds like a generic issue but the guru's here might want to know the machine and thread.weight. With near 200 posts I doubt I need to mention this but for a novice the eyelets on the thread stand need to be directly above the cone. I doubt you found a spool of reverse twist thread. Not sure this is a great approach but I'd make sure the check spring is set right and then I'd have thread in the left and right hand through the entire thread path and see what it feels like under my normal tension, pulling both ways. If that checked out okay I'd straight pull on the bobbin thread to make sure that pull is consistent. Backyard mechanics for sure but you could spot something there. From there forward it gets more involved and I'll let the talent speak.

Most industrial sewing machine and thread dealers sell thread socks. These are flexible nylon socks with open tops and bottoms that you slip over the spool. They are supposed to help keep overly loose thread from falling off the spool and jamming under it. These thread socks are usually sold in a bunch of 6 or more and are not expensive.

If the thread was double dyed (usually black), it can become a virtual coil spring. I call this twisty thread and it tends to fold and twist over posts and guides, or even itself. This randomly causes a sudden increase in the top tension. In the worst cases, the results can be fatal to the work, the thread and the needle (I know this from experience). The only way to fix this is to replace that spool of thread and maybe only use that one for winding bobbins.

Another thread problem is where the bonding operation is overly aggressive and the thread doesn't want to unwind unless you really pull hard on it off the side. Since the thread stand guides are over the spools, these too tight windings can almost lift the spool up as they unwind. This thread drag really throws off the top tension and can be unpredictable across the length and width of that spool. Sometimes you can overcome this by unwinding and rewinding enough thread to get through the job.

A similar lifting problem occurs if the windings are cross threaded and are starting to lock up as they are fed out under the other windings. This sometimes, but not always, happens due to user error. If you discover windings that are under other windings (for whatever reason), try to free up as much thread as you have the patience to dink with. Rewind it carefully to avoid crossing under previous windings. You may get past the cross threaded section and save that spool.

Anybody can get faulty spools of thread at any time. I usually contact the seller and ask if I can get a replacement. Photos or videos of the problem may be needed as proof.

Thanks for the replies.  Wiz, my problem thread is "like a coil spring," so I have been considering replacing it.  I have seen the socks but had forgotten about them - I will get some.

I'm on my way to an order now.

Thanks!!