FresnoFox

Juki LU-562 worth

What's a used (looks very used) Juki LU-562 worth? Picture attached. He says it "works great" Does this machine have a reverse? 

I asked his bottom dollar before I waste my time and his going to look. $600 without the table. Table with no motor is $75. No motor is fine because it's a clutch on it and I want a servo. So that's an additional ~$150. Seems way high to me based on searching this site.

Someone gave me a Singer 31-15 that has turned into WAY more of a project than what I anticipated. Had to completely strip it down and restore it and it still won't pick up the bottom thread and the upper tension is off and I can't figure out how to fix it. It's a 1908 machine and all the videos I've looked at show a slightly different tension assembly. But enough difference I can't figure it out. I don't know if I'm better off to continue to work on it or just buy something else. The restored machine looks really pretty at least. Lol

At the moment I am what I would call a hobby purse maker sewing not more than 5oz total leather. Soft leathers and hair on hides. Just for information for answering.

Screenshot_20180322-190430~3.png

We should ask, so I will. What is going to be your primary project, this should have a material and really if leather the thickness. 

I wont bother you with all the varibles but just say there is a range of thickness for machines. These can be helpfull to others answering for your best steps forward. 

In that your 31-15 machine the singer has its perfect place. The Juki in your photo was an extremely popular and high quality “ workhorse” period.  The name is not a knock off it has been one of the few  leaders in machine mfg. 

I truly am trying to not sound biased. The brand is copied for a wealth of reasons. 

This 562 typically has a smaller bobbin size of some now days. So this could be an excuse to consider, slightly. 

The key point is like all in this machine, upholstery class are optium with threads sized 69-138, thats just my opinion. But its not going to sew thicker thread or you could start thinking of all your tuning issue time with the other machine.  (So far, as that can get ironed out in another post in short order )

The 562 photo you post does show the hand lever for reversing. Prices can always be better or worse. Its a great weekend to discuss here on the site, possibly with some links to discussion in the past. 

Good day

Floyd

Edited by brmax

Thanks for your reply. As I said in my first post I will be sewing purses likely no more than 5 oz of soft leathers, mostly upholstery types and hair on hide. I have decided for what the guy wants I can add a couple more hundred and get a professionally refurbished machine.