Sign in to follow this  
roncal

How do I make 7 foot bridle reins ?

i have a client wanting some 7 foot bridle reins made from leather. I figure a nylon cord core and braid around that. I'm wondering about the length of the leather and how to splice pieces together for that long a braid? 4 piece braid maybe?

Sorry for the delayed response and maybe you already got it figured out but I thought I'd post a response anyways. You'll need 4 X 10.5' strands to braid 7' and to do it over one and under one but it would be nicer with 8 strands and doing an over 2 under 2 braid. with strings that long your options are; bundle each string so that it feeds out as you braid or start in the middle of each string and braid to the end and do it again. Then you will need some way to round and smooth out the braiding and also you will want to braid about 5 inches past the core and then loop back and splice the end into itself for an eye to put a connector in. Decide before hand if you think you might want to braid the connector into the rein permanently.

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

Why boasteth thyself, oh evil man! Playing smart and not being clever.
Bob Marley / Soloman