LetterT

Edge paint past exp.date

I was recently offered in my local shop a whole range of Fenice edge paints straight from Italy for cheap, 10$ for a 1 kilogram bottle in a clearly industrial packaging. The thing is - the exp. date on the bottles is a few years in the past.

Does anyone have any experience in trying out an expired edge pain?

Not for the best of work but for trying out different colors and misc items, could it still work?

I have paint that is a year old and it works just fine, but several years maybe not the same.  I think the worst that will happen is the paint will thicken or harden in the bottle.  For that price I would buy a bottle with the oldest expiration date and see how it works.

That being said, a little edge paint goes a really long way for a hobbyist.  I have a 1 liter bottle that seems to be barely used up after 8 months.  I have been giving samples to my leatherworking friends because of concerns over aging.  I have been buying 125 ml bottles and they will be used up before they expire.

Gary

I use Fenice from Tandy and at least 1 bottle is over three years old and it's still good.