Jump to content


Contributing Member
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited


About garypl

  • Rank
    Leatherworker.net Regular
  • Birthday 12/28/1950

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Loganville, GA USA
  • Interests
    Shooting/reloading, woodworking, 3D printing

LW Info

  • Leatherwork Specialty
    Shooting bags and accessories
  • Interested in learning about
    Holster making, carving leather
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?
    Google search on making shotgun shell pouch

Recent Profile Visitors

7,882 profile views
  1. garypl

    Shot shell Pouch

    Thanks for your comments Chuck, Battlemunky and rleather! One of my mistakes was when I initially carved the name directly onto the front panel and it was crooked. Rather than start over, I decided to put the name on the extra piece and sew that to the front panel. I also made a set of gussets and decided they were too narrow, so had to redo the gussets. Got to create fixes and most of the time the maker is the only person who would ever know! Gary
  2. So a friend asked me to make a shotgun shell pouch for his girlfriend, and I just finished this. A couple of hiccups along the way. My first attempt at carving the name ended up crooked and I didn’t want to trash the front panel that I had spent a few hours carving, so I decided to put her name on a separate piece of leather and try to make it look like I did it on purpose by using contrasting leather and white thread. She loves the look! Other mistake I made is that I didn’t put more bar grounding around the leaves. In hindsight, I think they would have stood out better, especially the lower right carving. Good news is that I had freedom to design anyway I wanted, so they didn’t really have any expectations on design. I used Wickett & Craig 7-8 oz Russet veg tan for the main sections of the case. For the gussets I used some 1-2 oz chrome tan I had laying around and I doubled it up because it felt a little too light and I was concerned about strength of the gussets. I always struggle sewing the gussets on pouches and try to use the lightest leather that will hold up to the job. Sewed everything on my CB4500 using 207 bonded nylon and for the double layer gussets I used 69 thread on my Consew 206. Manually sewed reinforcements at the top of the gussets for extra strength. Finished the front panel with Mop N Glo and the rest of the pouch was sealed with my homemade leather balm. Edges dyed and then I added a coat of Giardini black edge paint. On to the next project! Gary
  3. Thanks for the compliment dikman- much appreciated!
  4. I would not use 207 size thread if total weight of leather is 3 oz. Knots would probably be visible on top or bottom. What are you making and what is total weight of leather?
  5. Sorry, but don’t have any photos while I was building it. It’s based on an original Savage case for the take down rifle/shotgun. I worked off of a photo from the internet and kind of winged it as I went along trying to figure out the best way to make it.
  6. Thanks! Stamped the initials and carved the oak leaf .
  7. Looks like you are off to a great start - nice work!
  8. My neighbor brought me a pig's ear sandwich a month ago, but he pressure cooked it somehow and it was a slimy mess with little taste! Now I think he didn't know how to cook it properly! Luckily I had a cold beer on hand to quickly wash it down
  9. I thought I remembered someone posting one, but couldn't remember when!
  10. For anyone interested, here is the .STL file for the bottle holder Gary Dye Holder2.stl
  11. After knocking over a bottle of Fiebing’s dye I decided to print a simple holder. Small bottles are a nice snug fit and now are very stable on the bench. I’ll post the .STL file tomorrow when I get back on the PC. Took almost 4 hrs to print. Gary
  12. I use manila folders - very inexpensive and you can tape them up to make a bigger template.
  13. I've had issues with needle thread fraying on the upstroke when I had top tension too tight. I generally set bobbin tension so I can pull the thread out fairly easily by hand, then adjust the top tension for the leather you are sewing so the knots are pulled up into the leather. Some really hard leathers are just plain difficult to sew. I had one holster that had a spot that was so hard the needle bent. I ended up drilling a hole in that spot to allow needle to cleanly penetrate the piece. The rest of the project was no problem - go figure!
  • Create New...