I pretty sure this isn’t the right forum to post this update, but since I started this thread I thought I’d post some updates on this gun case here.
This is probably a very easy project for most of you, however for me it’s the biggest thing I’ve made with a lot of firsts. It started out with what type of leather to use, I had decided not do any tooling or stamping since it was for me and it was going to be a working case. So I decided to go with a chrome tan, the gun is 54 inches long, which (as you know) meant that I had to buy a side just to get the length I needed. With the decision to use chrome tan opened up a lot of choices of species and color. After going nuts looking at all the choices I decided to call Maker’s Leather Supply. After explaining the project they transferred me to the owner Aaron and he suggested a 4-5 ounce crazy horse pull up. If you’ve never dealt with Maker’s you owe it to yourself to give them a look, I received my order in 2 days. When I explained to Aaron all the firsts that the case presented me he said if I had any questions or needed any suggestions to call him and he’d help me out, now that’s customer service I appreciate.
The project came to a stop when I had to go to another supplier for thread (Maker’s was out of stock), that order took over a week to get, I’ll keep that in mind for next time.
The lining posed another set of questions of what to use. If you’ve ever put a hot gun in a case with a synthetic liner you know that it can ruin your day, so I knew it had to be a natural material. I started thinking wool, but I didn’t want a sheepskin, unfortunately I couldn’t find a wool fabric, so I went with 100% cotton. I used @chuck123wapati ‘s suggestion and used batting for cushioning. Having never used batting I wasn’t sure how thick it should be, what I bought was too thin which meant I had to glue 2 pieces together.
As of today I made a pattern, cut the leather to the pattern, made 2 rolled handles (a first), sewed them on, cut and glued the batting, cut and sewed the fabric. I still have to cut strips of leather to go around the top seem and opening, assemble and sew the zipper, and finally sew the the everything up. Here’s what it looks like so far: