Jordan

My Latest project a Ruger P89 DC Holster

I actually considered a Neel's Saddlery machine when I was looking, but I went with the Artisan Toro 3000. What weight thread are you using? I like 277 top and bottom, personally. Thee are some makers who even use 346 for top or both, but I don't feel that is necessary.

Nice job on the holsters, Jordan.

Neel's Saddlery Model 5 machine is an excellent machine, as I had one for about 2 years. I made a number of products with it, some of which have appeared on the cover of magazines. And in one instance, we made some items for a young girl who ended up winning first place in the costume contest at the Star Wars convention in Indianapolis a couple of years ago.

I use 346 thread on the top and 277 thread on the bottom for the style of holster that you have pictured.

I have'nt a clue as to thread size, no label on it. Ed sent it along with the machine. There is a shop close by that I may visit today, they are a service center for most non-commercial machines but are well stocked with fabric threads and all that sewing type stuff, maybe they will have something if not I'm sure thet can order me some.

If they don't have it, or it seems like a big struggle for them to get it, let me know. I have 1 lb spools of both black and white natural in the 346, 277, 207, and 138 size that I could sell you. A 1 lb spool will last you a good long while.

Jordan,

Be sure to match needle size with thread size. I think there are a number of posts about that here in the forum. A store for non-industrial may not have anything useful for leatherwork larger than garmet.

I've got lots of needles, What is white natural ? or is that 2 different colors also is it a bad idea to used waxed thread in a machine?

White natural is just not a bright white. The vast majority of people would not be able to tell the difference.

I'm finished messin with this one. I think I saved it somewhat, can't tell from the poor contrast but I added a second stitch line, finished it with acrylic after a little neatsfoot oil. Time to move on to the ruger p89. That is a toolbag in the back hanging on the wall. Interfeared with the pic of the holster.

18.jpg

19.jpg

post-4868-1202235891_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1202235910_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jordan

I think off-white thread looks way better on saddle tan holsters than the stark white thread. The bright white thread seems to be an assualt on the eyes, if you get what I mean. So far, I really like Linhanyl's bonded nylon thread. It has performed well in my machine, and with my holsters. My dad also uses Linhanyl's 69 weight bonded nylon thread to sew nylon halters and harnesses, and he made the observation that his Addler behaves much better with that thread than most of the others he's used (which is a lot, as he's been making tack since the 60s).

Jordan, I think that's a respectable holster. Nice job blending the second row of stitching into the previous boo-boo. No one would have any idea you ever made a mistake if you didn't tell them. I'm still looking forward to the ruger holster.

I like it alot, it looks like it's well built.

Thanks alot for the kudos, I will probably get to work on the ruger holster soon, so I will be posting some progress photos as it develops. Hopefully some of you and I can benefit from my trials and tribulations during the process. :rofl: Hopefully the leather shop in North Salt lake has some thread that is a bit more substancial, their name escapes me at the moment and none of the sewing centers around here carry anything useful. If not I may be ordering some through the members on this forum, the natural white mentioned earlier sounded interesting. K-Man how much are we talking about per spool?

Edited by Jordan

Jordan

Here is my attempt at making a holster.

tmoss1__Medium_.jpg

post-5-1204422413_thumb.jpg

Edited by Johanna
reduced pic size

Very nice tracy, is that a stolhman pattern from his holster book?

No, I had a friend that told emailed me his pattern and I just made one like that to fit my 1911. He may have gotten his there, I'm not sure. But the carving pattern is mine.

Just finished messing with the holster for the Ruger P89 this is what I have so far, until I get some heavier machine thread I hand sewed this one. Not sure if I want to do anymore basketweave on it will have to see what artistic mood tomorrow brings.

20.jpg

post-4868-1202446694_thumb.jpg

Jordan

So far looks real good. You certainly put alot of thought in your designs. The basket weave stamping looks real good too as does your makers stamp.

Randy

Thanks, I don't have the cash to get a stamp made yet so I just did a quick fix with a tandy stamp and letters, better to have some identifier so when it shows up on antique roadshow in a hunderd years it will be traceable to the greatest holstermaker that ever was! Gufaw :rofl::rofl:

2nd Greatest, let's give John his due.

Art

Thanks, I don't have the cash to get a stamp made yet so I just did a quick fix with a tandy stamp and letters, better to have some identifier so when it shows up on antique roadshow in a hunderd years it will be traceable to the greatest holstermaker that ever was! Gufaw :rofl::rofl:

Ooops I forgot, I bow to the master :notworthy::rofl:

I know what you mean about the makers mark Jordan. I don't have one either so I just sign and date my stuff using an awl while it's damp. As usual the layout and design on this one looks great. Can't wait to see it finished. Warren

I got my maker's stamp from Springfield Leather for $45. It's the one I used to make my avatar. I hear there is a guy making custom polymer stamps for a very reasonable price, but I liked the fact that this one is made of metal.