Sign in to follow this  
Tom Katzke

How to choose a web hosting provider?

This question is for the few web geeks out there. For the rest of us we may learn something.

With about a billion ads for web hosts how should someone go about finding a good web host? Other then using the dart method and just picking one, or doing like everyone else does and use the one recommended by someone, or having your service provider host your page. Is there a better way? I have tried to search for rankings but they seem to all be based on how much they pay to be included on the list. Is there a good place to look to find real unbiased information on picking a host to meet individual needs? Or how about meaningful test results? There has to be a better way other then just taking a chance. Tom Katzke Central Oregon

A webhost should provide security, a back up routine, free site building software and an excellent reputation. I am a reseller, and can buy and host domains for a reasonable price that include the cPanel package. Look at the list of features to make comparisons. The price for a cheap or free webhost is unwanted third party ads, lousy customer service and a lack of site tools. Make sure your webhost is arranged for when you buy your domain name so you can point the name directly to the DNS servers your webhost gives you. If you are transferring a domain, log onto where you bought the domain, unlock it if needed, and redirect it to the new webhost.

Johanna

A webhost should provide security, a back up routine, free site building software and an excellent reputation. I am a reseller, and can buy and host domains for a reasonable price that include the cPanel package. Look at the list of features to make comparisons. The price for a cheap or free webhost is unwanted third party ads, lousy customer service and a lack of site tools. Make sure your webhost is arranged for when you buy your domain name so you can point the name directly to the DNS servers your webhost gives you. If you are transferring a domain, log onto where you bought the domain, unlock it if needed, and redirect it to the new webhost.

Johanna

They all say they do that. The problem is with the unmanageable numbers of them out there how can someone tell if they will do what they say? They can allocate bandwidth so looking at any of the referred pages (if they provide any) is no good.

There is no easy way to tell if a so-called web host is a reseller of someone's else's service, like Yahoo is.

I guess your answer is, no way to tell other then taking a chance that you get what is promised.

Tom Katzke

Central Oregon

Well, twelve websites I'm responsible for are hosted on a plan like this:

http://www.gtghosting.com/plan1.html

So experience has taught me that this company is dependable and trustworthy. This site is hosted there, and the main servers are in Texas. You can look it all up on whois.com. You can find similar plans by different providers. You can ask on tech forums who they like, or you can try cNet or somewhere for reviews, but I happen to know this company is reputable from personal experience. You can buy space directly through them, but it costs more. You asked how to determine the best choice? Compare features, and price, ask a webhost's customers for their experiences, see if the webhost offers any customer support or a telephone number to call if you have a problem, check with the BBB. Check with your local ISP to see if they have a hosting plan (you already have an account there, they might make you a deal). Otherwise, I guess you have to depend on luck?

Johanna

Well, twelve websites I'm responsible for are hosted on a plan like this:

http://www.gtghosting.com/plan1.html

So experience has taught me that this company is dependable and trustworthy. This site is hosted there, and the main servers are in Texas. You can look it all up on whois.com. You can find similar plans by different providers. You can ask on tech forums who they like, or you can try cNet or somewhere for reviews, but I happen to know this company is reputable from personal experience. You can buy space directly through them, but it costs more. You asked how to determine the best choice? Compare features, and price, ask a webhost's customers for their experiences, see if the webhost offers any customer support or a telephone number to call if you have a problem, check with the BBB. Check with your local ISP to see if they have a hosting plan (you already have an account there, they might make you a deal). Otherwise, I guess you have to depend on luck?

Johanna

I am sure the company is great. What I was asking is if there is a place to go and look to find companies.

One thing I find interesting is the company you recommend gets server space from one place and sells domains for a second. The company that provides servers space looks like a registrar.

Tom Katzke

Central Oregon

Tom, someone recently asked me to recommend a web host on a Microsoft platform. I found the following two sites allowed current and former customers to rate their experience:

http://www1.epinions.com/Web_Hosts

http://www.hostsearch.com/shared_zone.asp

I looked up a couple of hosts I knew were good and found positive feedback as confirmation. I also looked up a few that I suspected had bad track records, and found negative comments all over the place.

I'm sure there are other sites that offer similar customer reviews...

Hope this helps, -Alex

1. host your domain

2. availability of your own very large database: MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.

3. will allow you to run your own php, javascripts, etc.

4. provide detailed website traffic statistics, such as whois contact information, traffic, bandwidth, etc.

5. allows many gigs of transfer daily to and from your site

6. will allow you to host IRC, peer-to-peer, etc.

7. offers credit card Merchant Processing Account, PayPal, etc.

8. spam filters on server

9. allow your own CGI scripts (hit counter, guestbook, www board, feedback form, search script)

10. allow your own Perl scripts

Edited by wes

I am a novice on this topic from a personal website perspective, I dont know too much on sources, but some advice I recommend is make sure that you have a good way to contact your hosting support people whoever you pick - check it out before you commit. One of my many hats is being in charge of aquiring and setting up the accounts for our websites where I work full time, and we have consolidated all of our domain names under a company called "Network Solutions" www.networksolutions.com. they have greate support, quick response, easy to understand, and you actually get to talk to someone. many of the people we purchased domains from were always unavailible, or you could only contact thru email - hence why we consolidated domains. I know they offer hosting packages for your site as well, and prices looked pretty good.

I am currently playing with a package from OSCommerce (http://www.oscommerce.com/). it is linux based, but is free for the software, and hosting companys are cheap for it (recommended companys from their site I believe)

Anyway, thats my 2 cents. hope it helps? Oh, BTW, I am definately NOT a web guy... but hardware.... :D

Vince

This question is for the few web geeks out there. For the rest of us we may learn something.

With about a billion ads for web hosts how should someone go about finding a good web host? Other then using the dart method and just picking one, or doing like everyone else does and use the one recommended by someone, or having your service provider host your page. Is there a better way? I have tried to search for rankings but they seem to all be based on how much they pay to be included on the list. Is there a good place to look to find real unbiased information on picking a host to meet individual needs? Or how about meaningful test results? There has to be a better way other then just taking a chance. Tom Katzke Central Oregon

If anyone is looking for full featured web hosting service, I can provide that at a reasonable cost. NetSol is one of the biggies, and they have good plans, but they don't have the personal touch, and I can undercut their prices, while still providing all the bells and whistles of a good web host. I'm not trying to sell anyone anything, just letting you know that there are alternatives.

Johanna

If anyone is looking for full featured web hosting service, I can provide that at a reasonable cost. NetSol is one of the biggies, and they have good plans, but they don't have the personal touch, and I can undercut their prices, while still providing all the bells and whistles of a good web host. I'm not trying to sell anyone anything, just letting you know that there are alternatives.

Johanna

What would I need for server side scripting etc . What cgi are supported? and a ballpark figure for cost . This aspect is new to me and I need a hint as to what direction to take. All the info is available but the choice is hard to make.

Sidney Wood

What would I need for server side scripting etc . What cgi are supported? and a ballpark figure for cost . This aspect is new to me and I need a hint as to what direction to take. All the info is available but the choice is hard to make.

Sidney Wood

I realize I am asking the wrong questions above. Actually what I really need to know is what full service hostig consists of . Such things as form processing and traffic statistics etc. php , asp etc. are probably a little deeper than I want to get until I can build a test bed to learn one of them.

Sidney Wood