Ski

Adler 69 Alternative

Hi Gang,

My Adler 69 is fantastic and I would like to buy something very similar, just one notch up on the leather thickness.

I require a cylinder arm for making handbags out of veg tan, able to sew up to 6mm with 20s thread.  The Adler 69 can do it, but it struggles a little.

What would you buy? (that is available in the UK)

Do you need/want a cylinder bed? I'm very pleased with my Seiko LCW-8, which I picked up in a factory clearance. It would be well suited to a that sort of work, takes a very large bobbin and can be run over 2000SPM, which really speeds up those dog leads and belts! Two minor gripes: the vertical axis (top loading) bobbin is a little more prone to thread jams than a horizontal axis like on the Adler 69, and the cylinder need is a little on the chunky side. A machine like this would cost about £3k new, but plenty of similar machines are available second hand for less than a third of that.

1 hour ago, Matt S said:

Do you need/want a cylinder bed? I'm very pleased with my Seiko LCW-8, which I picked up in a factory clearance. It would be well suited to a that sort of work, takes a very large bobbin and can be run over 2000SPM, which really speeds up those dog leads and belts! Two minor gripes: the vertical axis (top loading) bobbin is a little more prone to thread jams than a horizontal axis like on the Adler 69, and the cylinder need is a little on the chunky side. A machine like this would cost about £3k new, but plenty of similar machines are available second hand for less than a third of that.

Thanks Matt.  I cant see any LCW-8 for sale and never looked into Seiko's, but having a search for Seiko I found this : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Industrial-Seiko-Cylinder-Arm-Needle-Feed-Walking-Foot-Sewing-Machine-Servo/292866438870?hash=item44303336d6:g:A80AAOSwrQxcEpUH:rk:2:pf:0

No model number or anything so its guess work for me.

I don't know of any other LCW-8s for sale. However there are plenty of other similar Seiko's on eBay right now. The one you linked to looks like a CW-8. Nothing particularly special about Seiko machines, they're just relatively modern, good quality machines for which parts are quite easily available.

I don't know why more sellers don't provide the model number of their machines. Luckily it's often not too difficult to detective it out with the manufacturer's website.

We have Adler 69 for the same use. We like it and it has plenty of punching power for 6-7mm of vegtan (with a 750w Jack servo motor). But...it does struggle climbing over seams. 

I think the best machine up from the Adler 69 or Pfaff 335, with a narrow arm, would be the Durkopp Adler 669. But they are expensive. Another machine that might offer greater climbing with a narrow arm is the Juki 246. It has a 4 motion feed dog (goes up and down AND side to side unlike the Adler 69). In a narrow arm there is not much else out there I think.

If a larger diameter arm is fine then you could could look for a Adler 269, Juki 341/1341/1342 etc. Or the next step up from there, a Juki 441/Adler 205 clone.

The truth is once you step up from the Adler 69/Pfaff 335 things get expensive very quickly!

Hope this helps some. -Adam