Sign in to follow this  
CourtneyYEG

Are these decent production saddles?

Hello. I'm in the market for a new saddle and I'm shopping used since my budget doesn't support a brand new saddle. I've come across a few decent looking used saddles, but the brands give me pause. I know they're production saddles, but I can't find much online to tell me if they're good or bad.

The first is Irvines - I'm looking at an Irvines Association saddle. The second is Texas Saddle Co, in a wade style. I know Irvines is a great Alberta gem for the western rider, but I've never ridden in one of their saddles and I'm not sure if it's actually decent. 

As a rider, I'm fairly recreational. I have a preference for how Wades and Roping saddles sit me and while I'm not 100% sure what an association tree is, I've heard that it's quite popular and a lot of people who ride this tree like how it seats them. I've been browsing Ranch World Ads as well, but with the weak Canadian dollar, I have to basically double the USD list price to get a good idea of what it'll cost to buy and ship into Canada.

Has anyone heard, used or worked on an Irvines or Texas Saddle Co saddle? What were your thoughts?

McCalls are ok production saddles.  Made in Vernal Utah on Timberline trees which will fit a horse just fine.  You could also look for a quality used saddle but do your homework carefully.

Wade, Association, etc. are the names given to saddle trees based on the shape of their fork.  The name has nothing to do with how it will fit the rider or horse....absolutely nothing.  Each company or tree maker will also have their own interpretation of what a Wade, Association etc. fork will look like.  There is no standard within the industry on what is a Wade or Association or what semi-quarter horse bars are, etc.  How a tree fits a horse will depend on the bars of the tree and that will depend on the patterns and skills of the tree maker, which will vary from maker to maker.    Most higher end saddle trees will not have a pre-made seat.  The saddle maker will install a "ground seat" that is unique to their style and skill.  Thus, how a saddle sits for the rider is dependent on the skill of the saddle maker.

Learn everything you can and keep asking questions.  Good luck.