Sign in to follow this  
blafleur

dress belt leather

A friend asked me to make him a black dress belt, of 1 1/8".  I have some WC English 7 oz that I'm first inclined to use. Looking at my old dress belt, it seems 2 layers of very thin leather with a filler in the middle.  You guys think english bridle will finish to a nice leather belt or am I better off with plain veg tan?  I was worried about black leeching off and thought the EB would minimize that. Below is a link to the buckle he asked me to use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073Z643BP?pf_rd_p=c2945051-950f-485c-b4df-15aac5223b10&pf_rd_r=ES44VXH2QQDCZ2BJ0BJS

At Regent Belt Ltd (used to be in Northamptonshire, UK) we used two layers, one at full thickness, the other skived to half thickness at the edges, then glued and stitched around, so the back was flat and the top was profiled.

Hope this helps.

We used to supply Harrods, House of Fraser, Banana Republic etc so you can get an idea of the market mid-top end to top end.

And I remember using a London Tan, unwaxed veg, with painted edges (25 in a clamp, sprayed edges), and brass fittings. The leather was from British Leather in Birkenhead, long since gone.

Harry

3 hours ago, blafleur said:

Harry, what thicknesses did you use?

It would have been finished dress belt at 4 to 5 mm, so 2 to 2.5 mm leather, but the principal works for thicker.

Now I rarely line belts but if I do, it's thinner on the back. I like to use thicker dyed through leathers, as its also pre dyed for the edges giving ahead start there.

H