I'm having a little trouble with this new/old machine. It is a Mercury m-380b and is basically a nakajima 380 (from what I understand). I have it sewing, but it's definitely not right yet. I understand most of how to thread it, but the tensioner on top is a bit of a mystery to me, and I haven't been able to find a manual or identical enough system. Does anyone have any insights on the correct way to run it? And might it change depending on thread size?

Lastly, I have run it several ways, not just how it is in the picture.

machine1.jpg

machine2.jpg

Edited by Ablenumbersix
clarity and pictures added

Thread around that little spring loaded mini-disk on top, by the thread guide. It will help keep the thread down inside the upper tension disks.

Make sure the thread stays inside the disks and doesn't rise up as you sew. Feed around the disks and down and around the check spring. It is necessary to prevent loose thread getting pierced by the needle.

Operating and adjusting industrial sewing machines is mostly by feel, test sewing and intuition.