nokiddin

Will my stain still work?

Hey all.  

So I am working on a project, it's a case that will fold like a book or journal cover. 

I typically add some Neatsfoot or olive oil to the rough side of the leather to get a little moisture into it before staining.  I like to do an antique with Tandy Hi Lite Stain, colour Briar Brown.  

So as I was adding the oil, I had a little mishap and oil ended up getting poured directly on the rough side of the leather.  I tried to quickly spread it, but it was too late and the oil has now shown through the tooled side of the leather.  

It currently is splotchy looking.  So I think I'll have to lightly add more oil to even out the color. 

What I'm wondering, is will my HI-Lite Stain will work well with all this oil in the leather? Or am I starting over? 

I wouldn't add more oil.  To much and it will be a soggy mess.  You could let it sit for a few days to migrate and level out.  If that doesn't work, and it is soggy, you can remove some of the oil by burying it in floor dry or other absorptive material (kitty litter, corn starch, saw dust).  Stir it up every few hours and over a week or so, the oil content will be reduced.

Tom

Thanks Tom.

I was thinking I should leave it for a bit.  There are lighter spots surrounding the darker part, so hopefully it'll spread out.  

It really isn't soggy yet, just not an even color.

Edited by nokiddin