Sign in to follow this  
Jsoul1

Need Help Choosing A Machine

Hello everyone, thanks for taking the time to read and help out. I know there is a bunch post like these, I read a lot of them. I still am having trouble picking a machine, I'm looking for a good machine to get started that will last a good while until I save more to buy a higher end machine. I don't have a huge budget honestly, Id like to be in for one for under $750. I'd love to be in for around $500 if possible. I'm very open to pre-owned because I know there might not be new ones in my price range. Ive been searching, i see some heads on eBay and was thinking of possibly purchasing and getting a servo motor. If there are any new ones capable of my needs even better. I'd be trying to sew light leather &  thin PVC. I'd like to make light wallets ,card holders & key chains. Thanks in advance for taking time to read and respond. 

I would be very wary of buying a machine head off eBay particularly a used head. I would first try your local sewing machine shop/dealer they may have a good used machine in stock within your price range. Another alternative would be go to your local Homedepot and look at a Reliable Barracuda for about $500 new. Buy it, bring it home and give it a try on your stuff. If you don't like it or it cann't do the job return it back for a refund. The Reliable Barracuda is portable walking foot very similar to the Sailrite LSZ ($900) and the Tandy Stitch Master ($1500) machines but a whole hell of a lot cheaper. In my opinion if the Sailrite LSZ or Tandy Stitch Master can sew it, the Reliable Barracuda can sew it just as good. I have used both the Barracuda and the Sailrite. This maybe a viable alternative until the dollars allow for a higher quality machine.

kgg

21 minutes ago, kgg said:

I would be very wary of buying a machine head off eBay particularly a used head. I would first try your local sewing machine shop/dealer they may have a good used machine in stock within your price range. Another alternative would be go to your local Homedepot and look at a Reliable Barracuda for about $500 new. Buy it, bring it home and give it a try on your stuff. If you don't like it or it cann't do the job return it back for a refund. The Reliable Barracuda is portable walking foot very similar to the Sailrite LSZ ($900) and the Tandy Stitch Master ($1500) machines but a whole hell of a lot cheaper. In my opinion if the Sailrite LSZ or Tandy Stitch Master can sew it, the Reliable Barracuda can sew it just as good. I have used both the Barracuda and the Sailrite. This maybe a viable alternative until the dollars allow for a higher quality machine.

kgg

Thank you for your reply. I will look into the Reliable Barracuda. I'd have to have on shipped to store for pick up if I decide to go that route. I was under the assumption the portable walking foot machines were kinda bad buys ( from some post on here). Thanks again for response 

Is anyone else familiar with the Reliable Barracuda? I see very similar machines just sold as different brand name. Does anyone know if these are the same machines? 

Consew CP206RL 

REX RX-607Z 

SEWLINE NEW 146-7

NEW-TECH Portable Walking Foot Long Arm Zig Zag & straight sewing Machine 110 V

Edited by Jsoul1

Any thoughts on getting one of these machines and putting a Sailrite Monster ll Power Wheel? Even Possible?

It all depends on what you need the machine for, your budget, space restrictions, etc. Yes some of the portable walking foot machines are terrible and sound like a bucket of bolts rattling around of which I will not mention. I do recommend the Barracuda based on my experience, it was sewn off by Reliable and worked properly right from the get go. I pushed that little machine too it's limits and then some.  Remember that the Tandy Stitch Master is just a Sailrite portable walking foot planked into a table with a servo added.

Reliable has their version of the Monster wheel called the Cuda Crank for about $110 US.

kgg

42 minutes ago, kgg said:

It all depends on what you need the machine for, your budget, space restrictions, etc. Yes some of the portable walking foot machines are terrible and sound like a bucket of bolts rattling around of which I will not mention. I do recommend the Barracuda based on my experience, it was sewn off by Reliable and worked properly right from the get go. I pushed that little machine too it's limits and then some.  Remember that the Tandy Stitch Master is just a Sailrite portable walking foot planked into a table with a servo added.

Reliable has their version of the Monster wheel called the Cuda Crank for about $110 US.

kgg

Gotcha.  I'm thinking about getting one asap and seeing how it goes. Thanks for the info, you've been a lot of help. I really appreciate it.