AlexLeather

Bulk order of 1100 luggage tags

With the information provided by fredk and miksc I think you should be extremely wary of the request.

kgg

To the OP, take care, check everything out, it might be a good genuine contract or it may be suspect. Don't judge it by the way it looks or what we say, judge it on the facts that you discover.

Let me divert into a story for a moment. This happened to friend of mine. He's in the same motor club. He's retired. This event happened several years ago now. My friend dresses like a hobo/gardener when he's out 'casual'. His family have always liked and bought Italian cars, buying them in preference to any other.

One day he decided he wanted to buy a new sports car. All the Italian makes had new models of 'spyders' that year. His first call was to the Ferrrari & Lamborghini dealership. As he was looking at the insides of one of the Ferraris the dealer management called security and had my friend literally thrown out and told not to come back. Next stop was Alfa Romeo dealers. Here the sales people refused to talk to him and insisted he touch nothing and leave the premises.

Next call was Fiat. A young, fairly new, salesman dealt with my friend. Test drive? no problem sir. They went for a test drive and as a racing driver of experience my friend took the car to a quiet area and stressed it. On getting back to the dealership with a rather 'frightened' salesman my friend said he'd buy. How do you want to pay? "Cash transfer or cash in hand" says my friend. My friend got a good deal. Then he told the salesman, "oh, I don't want one, I want 6. One for me, one for each of my 2 sons, one for my daughter for her birthday, and I'll have to get my wife one as well and my eldest grandson will want one too and here's the colours I want them in and the dates they are to be delivered." 

The cost of each of those cars was about £35, 000 (afair), thats x 6 = £210, 000 which that salesman sold that day. When my friend went back a few days later the salesman told him he'd gone to other two dealerships and rubbed their noses in the loss of that sale. 

Although my friend dresses like a hobo, he's a multi-millionaire. Last estimate was he's worth about £50 mil, and thats not taking into account what the rest of the family is each worth. 

So don't judge things on how they look at first. Deal with it as if its all genuine and decide on the facts as you learn them.

To the OP, take care, check everything out, it might be a good genuine contract or it may be suspect. Don't judge it by the way it looks or what we say, judge it on the facts that you discover.

Let me divert into a story for a moment. This happened to friend of mine. He's in the same motor club. He's retired. This event happened several years ago now. My friend dresses like a hobo/gardener when he's out 'casual'. His family have always liked and bought Italian cars, buying them in preference to any other.

One day he decided he wanted to buy a new sports car. All the Italian makes had new models of 'spyders' that year. His first call was to the Ferrrari & Lamborghini dealership. As he was looking at the insides of one of the Ferraris the dealer management called security and had my friend literally thrown out and told not to come back. Next stop was Alfa Romeo dealers. Here the sales people refused to talk to him and insisted he touch nothing and leave the premises.

Next call was Fiat. A young, fairly new, salesman dealt with my friend. Test drive? no problem sir. They went for a test drive and as a racing driver of experience my friend took the car to a quiet area and stressed it. On getting back to the dealership with a rather 'frightened' salesman my friend said he'd buy. How do you want to pay? "Cash transfer or cash in hand" says my friend. My friend got a good deal. Then he told the salesman, "oh, I don't want one, I want 6. One for me, one for each of my 2 sons, one for my daughter for her birthday, and I'll have to get my wife one as well and my eldest grandson will want one too and here's the colours I want them in and the dates they are to be delivered." 

The cost of each of those cars was about £35, 000 (afair), thats x 6 = £210, 000 which that salesman sold that day. When my friend went back a few days later the salesman told him he'd gone to other two dealerships and rubbed their noses in the loss of that sale. 

Although my friend dresses like a hobo, he's a multi-millionaire. Last estimate was he's worth about £50 mil, and thats not taking into account what the rest of the family is each worth. 

So don't judge things on how they look at first. Deal with it as if its all genuine and decide on the facts as you learn them.

fred..what did Fiat make that cost over £35K each several years ago ?

I've had some Alfa GTVs ( the ones that looked like a small jag shape, not the ugly later ones) and a couple of their Spyders..beginning back in the 70s, I never had to pay that much for any of them, new from the showrooms ( in the UK mainland )..like these..( these are not my photos..I didn't keep photos when I left the UK, got these from G )

and Fiats were always well cheaper..

1975-alfa-romeo-gtv-2000-spyder-B6EHW9.jpg

alfa gtv 2000.jpeg

alfa romeo gtv 2000.png

Edited by mikesc

Fiat Abarth, full leather interior, high performance racing spec engine, limited edition colours, especially as my friend wanted two in colours that Fiat did not offer - but you don't turn down an order cos you don't offer it in Ballilia Yellow.

and Italian cars were more expensive in N.I. than GB

Ah..I remember the Abarths..not from the showrooms, but from the roads..nice cars..Didn't know that they were that kind of price range..ouch!!

Yellow though.. :( .. Only owned 3 yellow cars..a big Ford Cortina GXL ( yellow with black vinyl top ) ..Sunbeam Talbot ( politely known as "peanut butter coloured" ) and an MGB GT ..Nice car..no go in them though compared to the Alfas..

Once owned a 4x4 Fiat Panda..that was fun :) had so much mud on it from playing in Wales..it might have been white under the mud :)

back to thread and OP..

To the OP..If they get back to you, quote them a price that can make you money, do not "work for the glory" or for "future orders"..and get paid enough ( in cash, no cheques, cheques can always be cancelled , especially in the USA, here it is far more difficult to cancel a cheque, doing so without telling the bank that the cheque was stolen or lost is an offence, making a false declaration of theft or loss of a cheque is an offence too ) to buy any machines and materials that you'd need, and to pay you a reasonable rate for your time..if sub contracting to Mike, or anyone, make sure again that you get enough cash ( see preceding comment ) before getting them to begin any work..

Good luck..I fear you'll need it if you get involved..YMMV

Oh, if I had a nickel for every time somebody asked me if I have "dealer pricing" ... :whistle: