Vinito

Saved a Juki LU-562 from the scrap heap today...

Measured the hook assemblies up today. Looks like it would not be too bad to make the big 563 hook work in the 562 saddle. However, I think I found a genuine Juki saddle for pretty reasonable. We'll see if that pans out, but if it does, it will help in a couple ways. First, this should make the upgrade easier for me. But second, it gives me parts to measure so I can directly compare the 563 against the 562 parts for some analysis and recommendations for "making do" if someone wants to do the upgrade with less cash outlay.

That's about all - update Du Jour.

Stepping back to the bodywork... I have decided that the gold hammered paint should look OK and take a dark decal I can print myself. However, i'd have to use the spray gun instead of a rattle can and I have one of those in a blue hammered. Any votes for either?

Prolly not the ideal primer color, but I already had it so.... thus far's progress (primed and sanded, ready for paint):

primer.jpg

I’m curious how many new parts are required and how many old parts need to be modified to do the big bobbin conversion - I have at least one machine that would be nice to have the bigger bobbin.  

good job saving the old gal!  

I started a fresh thread regarding just my restoration and (eventual) bobbin upgrade will be put there once I get to it. link to the thread

JJN's post there lists these parts which would be a minimum to do the conversion:

B1905-563-000 thread take-up lever
B1830-563-0A0 vertical-axis sewing hook asm.
B1824-563-000 bobbin case opening lever

You can replace several other parts to do a more complete "genuine" 563 bobbin upgrade, but functionally it shouldn't make much difference, if any, to just replace these three and go to town.

However, if you do go this route, it will require that you machine .100" off the top of the saddle, then remove a bit off the opening lever crank to make room for the larger hook,. I'm going to try to figure out and show a way to do these with some kind of less expensive tools, but I'm probably a few weeks away from that. I'm currently a bit swamped and won't have time for a while yet.