Venger

Skived hides and project positioning question

I have a question regarding how to select the correct cut from a hide.

I have some experience tanning hides as a hobby and have learned that hides and skins vary in thickness; bellies are thin and necks are thick, generally speaking. In the case of factory tanned leathers, hides are split to a somewhat uniform thickness. With an un-split hide, it is important to observe what part of the hide is used for certain projects. But in commercially processed hides, is this still necessary? Assuming both to be the same weight, is there more to leather than simply its thickness based on where is was located on the animal? Is a bend more flexible than a shoulder or a butt from a belly? My assumption is that even though a factory tanned hide may be of uniform thickness, the nature of a hide varies; a shoulder would have a denser/less pliable fiber structure than a belly, etc. But frankly, I don't know. As such, my decision on what cut of leather to buy is at a standstill.

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:20 AM, Venger said:

Assuming both to be the same weight, is there more to leather than simply its thickness based on where is was located on the animal? Is a bend more flexible than a shoulder or a butt from a belly?

Along the spine of an animal is usually best for belts, belly leather is more supple, and prone to stretching, so better for things that will not be affected by the flexibility, and shoulders are different to the hindquarters, so yes, the location on the hide where your leather comes from should be considered when choosing leather for a specific task.

Kangaroo leather is usually about1.0 - 1.5mm, but I have seen 5.0+mm kangaroo leather. It was just a small patch where the tail joined to the back on a hide I tanned myself about 35years ago. Overall the hide was quite flexible, but the thicker section was like plywood.

Edited by Rockoboy